Betta Struggling EMERGENCY

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

max22

Reaction score
I have had my delta male betta for around 6 months, he is in a 3.2-gallon tank. I have just purchased a 6.8 gallon as a hospital tank for some guppy issues, once the problem is resolved I plan to give the tank to my betta. The hang on back filter had 2 sponges as filter media, however, I moved one of the two sponges into a somewhat new tank in order to deal with ammonia issues that tank is undergoing (hence the hospital tank). He has been doing great since I got him, I feed small amounts of a variety of frozen and pellet food 3 times a day. His water tested 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate on the API test kit as of now, but it tested slightly high a few times since I removed the media. Two days ago I noticed a large amount of his fin mass for unknown reasons as well as some curling. He is now acting very lethargic and laying in his hideout and under the filter intake. I believe the problem is definitely not finrot but perhaps biting his tail because it was so big which I heard was a possibility. His fins are completely clamped up, folded, and bitten looking. He comes up to get some air occasionally and will be fairly responsive but is quickly tired out and retreats to his hides. I have however removed the plants and dosed the water with API aquarium salt as well as lowered the water level as of 4-5 hours ago so he could get air easier. I have no idea what is wrong with him I need help.

I have had my delta male betta for around 6 months, he is in a 3.2-gallon tank. I have just purchased a 6.8 gallon as a hospital tank for some guppy issues, once the problem is resolved I plan to give the tank to my betta. The hang on back filter had 2 sponges as filter media, however, I moved one of the two sponges into a somewhat new tank in order to deal with ammonia issues that tank is undergoing (hence the hospital tank). He has been doing great since I got him, I feed small amounts of a variety of frozen and pellet food 3 times a day. His water tested 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate on the API test kit as of now, but it tested slightly high a few times since I removed the media. Two days ago I noticed a large amount of his fin mass for unknown reasons as well as some curling. He is now acting very lethargic and laying in his hideout and under the filter intake. I believe the problem is definitely not finrot but perhaps biting his tail because it was so big which I heard was a possibility. His fins are completely clamped up, folded, and bitten looking. He comes up to get some air occasionally and will be fairly responsive but is quickly tired out and retreats to his hides. I have however removed the plants and dosed the water with API aquarium salt as well as lowered the water level as of 4-5 hours ago so he could get air easier. I have no idea what is wrong with him I need help.
Hi! So sorry for your fish... do you do weekly water changes? It may be a parasite, bacterial problem, or stress... pictures would help

I would also just add hiding places however to keep him secure.. also, his staple diet should be soaked pellets and frozen food as a treat. three times a day is too much, cut it down to once or twice a day..

Hi! So sorry for your fish... do you do weekly water changes? It may be a parasite, bacterial problem, or stress... pictures would help
I can send pictures once I am home in the morning. What would you consider I do in order to prevent/cure a bacteria/parasite? If its stress what might it be?

I would give plenty of fresh water (water conditioner added of course) add salt to help as well. Definitely cut back on his feeding as too much can make them feel poorly. Does he look bloated at all?

Ok, so definitely do more water changes. But this time, use a good water conditioner like stress coat. Your nitrate is bit too high I believe. Do a water change. It also might be something to do with water parameters. If it is parasites you first have to diagnose what type of parasite. Internal or external. this relates directly to what medication you should consider using. If it is bacterial, that would be harder to treat..but there are many bacterial medications out there for you. Probably should act quick in the case of bacterial or parasites...they won't wait and might be fatal if not treated immediately...reply back if you need more help

I agree with above except use Seachem Prime as your water conditioner,dechlorinator. It binds ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours making it non toxic during this period. Do big water changes of 75% daily until nitrates are back down. When you moved some of your media you started a mini cycle again. It should catch up and be fine. Good luck! If after several days he’s not improving, then we will need to determine if it is bacterial, fungal, or parasitic. I think he’ll be fine.

Yes, Seachem Prime would work too. Use a anti-stress medication to help reduce stress during treatment.
A little aquarium salt is all you need to reduce stress and will save you $. Good luck!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back