Betta Sorority

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

DancingBetta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Iā€™m thinking of doing a betta sorority. I know some people have bad experiences, but Iā€™m willing to give it a shot. My LFS has some female bettas in a sorority, they are all very peaceful. So I figured if they already live together, they wonā€™t fight too much. What do you think? Would a 40 gallon breeder work? My store has one for half off.

How big is a 40 gallon breeder?

You can keep female Betta splendens together and they are fine. Shops buy in females and they keep them in the same tank. It's the males that fight. Females do have a pecking order but don't normally kill each other.

Have lots of plants and you should be good to go.

No, no, no. Donā€™t do it. Youā€™ll be sorry in the end. I guarantee it. Been there and done that. 11 in a 20G long. All died of Columnaris due to high stress levels. Worst thing I ever did as a hobbyist. People warned me but I didnā€™t listen. Had everything I needed...lots of plants, cave for each one. Thought I was real smart for about 8 months and then everything fell apart. Some of the fish died horrible deaths.

No, no, no. Donā€™t do it. Youā€™ll be sorry in the end. I guarantee it. Been there and done that. 11 in a 20G long. All died of Columnaris due to high stress levels. Worst thing I ever did as a hobbyist. People warned me but I didnā€™t listen. Had everything I needed...lots of plants, cave for each one. Thought I was real smart for about 8 months and then everything fell apart. Some of the fish died horrible deaths.
I understand that this was a tragic thing to have happened to you, but this was your individual situation. Not every sorority works out this way. I would have personally given 11 bettas a little more than 20 gallons, although I have seen others do it. I just think that others may be able to maintain a healthy, peaceful sorority although you unfortunately couldn't. Again, I understand why it's something you wouldn't attempt again

I understand that this was a tragic thing to have happened to you, but this was your individual situation. Not every sorority works out this way. I would have personally given 11 bettas a little more than 20 gallons, although I have seen others do it. I just think that others may be able to maintain a healthy, peaceful sorority although you unfortunately couldn't. Again, I understand why it's something you wouldn't attempt again
I was warned by a number of people who had done it. I was too arrogant to listen though. I was raked over the coals in another forum for doing it but I just laughed. I actually had 9 in the tank and was encouraged to add the other two. More is better. You can find this in doing research on such sororities. All I can do is warn people. Then let them learn for themselves, sadly. Have you ever met anyone who has had a female sorority for several years? I doubt you will. :)

All died of Columnaris due to high stress levels.
Columnaris has to be introduced into an aquarium. If you have a clean tank and healthy fish for 8 months, they shouldn't develop Columnaris unless something introduces it.

The fact you had them for 8 months and they were fine for that time, suggests they were ok until something happened around that 8 month mark and that is what caused the Columnaris.

Did you add anything to the tank around that time (new fish, plants, snails)?

Columnaris has to be introduced into an aquarium. If you have a clean tank and healthy fish for 8 months, they shouldn't develop Columnaris unless something introduces it.

The fact you had them for 8 months and they were fine for that time, suggests they were ok until something happened around that 8 month mark and that is what caused the Columnaris.

Did you add anything to the tank around that time (new fish, plants, snails)?
It s my understanding that Columnaris exists in tanks but only appears if fish are in a highly stressful situation. That is how Dr Dave explained it and he diagnosed it. Nothing added for several months.
Columnaris is a bacterial infection caused by the bacteria Flavobacterium Columnare. It has been around since man started culturing fish, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. It is present in practically all aquatic systems, and in the fish in those systems. From a home aquarium to a 500 acre catfish farm.

Last edited:
I have never had Columnaris appear in any of my tanks at home but we had it in the shops and quarantine facilities regularly. It always came in on newly imported fish, usually guppies or neon tetras. Once we treated the tank and fish, it didn't appear in that tank again unless we added sick/ infected fish.

Theoretically, if you quarantine all new fish, plants, shrimp and snails, you should be able to keep it and many other disease organisms out of the main display tank and never have it appear on your fish.

How big is a 40 gallon breeder?

You can keep female Betta splendens together and they are fine. Shops buy in females and they keep them in the same tank. It's the males that fight. Females do have a pecking order but don't normally kill each other.

Have lots of plants and you should be good to go.

I have never had Columnaris appear in any of my tanks at home but we had it in the shops and quarantine facilities regularly. It always came in on newly imported fish, usually guppies or neon tetras. Once we treated the tank and fish, it didn't appear in that tank again unless we added sick/ infected fish.

Theoretically, if you quarantine all new fish, plants, shrimp and snails, you should be able to keep it and many other disease organisms out of the main display tank and never have it appear on your fish.
I appreciate your perspective on it but due to the fact that I had not added anything in quite some time, I will have to surmise that Dr. Dave, DVM was correct in his diagnosis and explanation. Theoretically, if your shop were selling the fish and there was a turnover in fish in tanks, you have no idea if they broke out or not. Sadly, itā€™s the consumer that gets the end results of those stressed out fish. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back