Betta Sorority Tank - 15 Us Gallons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Update regarding the flame tetra...

All now passed on.  Very upset with myself for buying from the store I did... Never did it before and never will again.  :no:

Anyway, still treating the tank for ich, because as we all know, its the TANK that gets infected as much as the fish.  So, turning the heat up to 90, and leaving the salt for another week.  Will consider what to do after that.

Will be dosing ammonia every 2-3 days to keep the filter cycled in the meantime.  For those curious, snack dose of ammonia will be 1ppm every 2-3 days. 

This gives me a few alternatives:

1 - Leave the tank empty and just worry about growing the plants out for when the bettas arrive.  Benefit here is that the fish won't get in the way of the plants growth.  Plants should have quite a bit of time to grow and fill the tank more than they currently have.

2 - Add a few fish (cherry barbs would be my first choice, as I have 8 in my other tank at home, and could add those to this tank and maybe a few more to give the filter a really nice work out and work on 'maturing' (note: not cycling) the tank.

On the planted front: 
  • Of the bulbs I bought, two have sprouted now, so that's encouraging.
  • Crypts have now completely melted, but a couple are starting to show new life with a few new leaves.
  • Bacopa is working nicely on getting taller... might go get some more of that since it is doing so well.
  • Java fern is covered in algae.  Going to remove it and clean it up before returning it to the tank. 

On the decor front:
  • My son has not yet picked out his addition(s) to the tank yet. 
  • Most decor will be of the natural variety - wood and plants... maybe a rock or two.

Recall, this is ultimately his tank, and will be something that he will slowly take more responsibility for... so, we need him to grab some real ownership of this.  He didn't have enough background to pick ANY fish he wanted, so the choices were narrowed down by me and he merely agreed to them.  He doesn't know enough about plants to choose plants that are suitable, so they were also chosen by me.  So, the decor will be his real addition to this process...

I am contemplating a small group of otos (6) eventually... If all goes to plan, there would be a large amount of plants and a fair amount of algae available for them to munch... just not sure about the suitability with female bettas, and more exactly the temp concern.  I plan to run the tank at 78-80F.  Any thoughts on that?

I keep my gourami tank at 80* with no issues in the Otos. :) so I wouldn't think that would be too much of a problem.

I guess the next question then would be regarding the suitability of female bettas with otos.

The clay pots are fine as long as you block the hole in the end.  I do it with plants personally(a little wad of moss).  A dollop of silicon will block it nicely as well. 

The otos should work out nicely in your tank.  I would recommend getting them set up in the tank before you get your bettas just to give you time to get them used to eating stuff you put in for them.   

Sorry to hear about the flames.  :(  

:rip: sorry to hear about the flames. At least you could provide a nice home for them!

IMO having the tank without fish until the bettas arrive would be the best option, though I do like WBs idea of adding the otos before them, although I'm not sure how well they'd do as I see most places recommend adding them last as they're so sensitive.

The otos should work fine with the females, as they're often recommended tank mates :)

Ok, so its been a while since I updated... so I'll update now...

Wanting to have fish in the tank, since its actually a "Christmas present", I continued the salt and heat treatment of the tank for another 10 days after I lost the last of the flame tetras...

Then, I did TWO full water changes to remove the salt... and bring the temp down.  Then, I checked the bacteria cycled it for ~3 days and added otos.

I had some help on the water changes (Meet the eaglet):

(Taught him some patience with this, as I had him add the water slowly with a water bottle over the Mopani, so as to not disturb the plants and substrate.)

He threw himself completely into this job and up to his elbows... literally!

And now for some blurry fish pics:

(You'll not the java fern leaf in the back is actually in focus.)

(A great shot of the thermometer - possible entry into Equipment of the Month?)

And finally, a single shot of a fish in focus:

(Actually I think the substrate inside the pot is in better focus, but this is the best you are going to get from me! :p )

Hope you enjoy it.

In other news, a LOT of plants are coming this week... pics will be uploaded when they arrive.

Great additions 
smile.png

Like that there's a new Eaglet in training..........
laugh.png

Plants arrived today at 11:30 am... by 5:30, and three tanks later, I've rescaped all 3 tanks...

Plants added to the betta tank:

Tank before plant additions:

Tank after additions:

Close-up of 'novel' glosso planting method:

(Glosso was planted into the sunken area of a mopani branch, and substrate added to cover the roots.)

Otos are happy again after the change over.

A quick video of the otos... the batteries died while filming.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56876192@N03/11574362373/in/photostream/

My son got to be part of the water change process again after I changed about 4 gallons today...  We need to work on his dechlorinator measurements. :lol: 

Yeah, he's got a long way to go still, but each water change gets a little bit better. 

Thanks. Will continue to update as this tank progresses.

One of the plant types seems very unhappy in the tank (Rotala Nanjenshan), and I'm really not surprised.  It was a high light need tank, and I just don't have 'high light'.

Trying to figure out what I want to put in that spot in its place... Suggestions welcome. :D  (must have low-medium light requirement)

No update has come for a while, so I figured one was due.

First order of business, things continue to progress with the plants. The wisteria is doing very well. The crypts are slow in growing, but are still coming along. The water lilies are doing well, and it looks as though I will be able to separate them and spread them out soon. I also added a bit of jungle vallisneria to see if they can be trained to accept some liquid carbon (glutaradehyde). I am starting with roughly a 1/3 dose for about a week, then I'll boost it to about a 2/3 dose for about a week, then a full dose after that. We'll see how they do with that.

But none of that really matter compared to the big news: Bettas have been ordered and paid for. They should arrive soon, will be shipped on either Monday or Tuesday. Will update with pics when they arrive.

In the meantime, this is all I have to share:

Looking jungle-y :D Can't wait to see the girls!

7 betta females were delivered a little while ago.  Fish have been acclimated and added to the tank (during my lunch break).  Pics will be coming up later this evening when I get home. 

Fish are exploring the tank a bit, and I've already seen one girl flare her gills at another... I might have found who the alpha will be.

Alright... long awaited update...

THE FISH HAVE ARRIVED!!!

This is the 'bully' so far.  She's been flaring her gill plates and really doesn't like the others in her space.  :lol:  I'm going to have to keep an eye on her.

And finally a bit of a video... HD720.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56876192@N03/11986648225/
Enjoy.

(Oh and please ignore the plant bits... they will be getting cleaned up on the weekend.)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back