Betta Sorority And Male?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

babsie94

Reaction score
Hey! I have a betta male right now (HM) that I absolutely ADORE. he's the best!

My question is, I've seen different answers everywhere I go:

If I started a betta sorority, could he go in with them? Or would he have to stay separated?

This is mostly hypothetical, I haven't bought any females yet. Just curiosity, because I would love to start one, but I'm super attached to my HM. :wub:

If I started a betta sorority, could he go in with them? Or would he have to stay separated?

This is mostly hypothetical, I haven't bought any females yet. Just curiosity, because I would love to start one, but I'm super attached to my HM. :wub:

Males and females together (apart from temporarily for breeding with someone who knows what they are doing) are a big no no. Period. It is a risk to both your male and any females that you acquire. They might get on for a little while, but ultimately it will lead to dead or injured fish. It could be days, weeks or months down the line but sooner or later it will happen. If you want a sorority, keep it separate from your male in a nice, large, heavily planted tank. Also remember soroities don't always work either. They take lots of planning and preparation for the worst. Not trying to put you off, but after having one myself, I know they are a bit of work. Before I was a member here and foolishly believed my LFS, I tried a male in mine. Guess what happened. They ATE his fins and killed him in the span of one night a month down the line, no previous indication of serious aggression before that. I also had to replace one of my six girls, she was far too aggressive. After that I had no issues before I decided to sell the tank, as I was moving and could only tank my 30L with my crowntail boy in it.

Also about your current tank. Is that your permanent stocking? Tetra's and cories are schooling fish, and need to be in groups of at least six.

No it's not permanent. I had five, it's a long story. Alright thank you, I get nothing but black and white answers on this.

apart from breeding no, they will slowly bash him to death, and having a male in sight of girls can make them as aggro as males are to each other

Males and females together (apart from temporarily for breeding with someone who knows what they are doing) are a big no no. Period. It is a risk to both your male and any females that you acquire. They might get on for a little while, but ultimately it will lead to dead or injured fish. It could be days, weeks or months down the line but sooner or later it will happen. If you want a sorority, keep it separate from your male in a nice, large, heavily planted tank. Also remember soroities don't always work either. They take lots of planning and preparation for the worst. Not trying to put you off, but after having one myself, I know they are a bit of work. Before I was a member here and foolishly believed my LFS, I tried a male in mine. Guess what happened. They ATE his fins and killed him in the span of one night a month down the line, no previous indication of serious aggression before that. I also had to replace one of my six girls, she was far too aggressive. After that I had no issues before I decided to sell the tank, as I was moving and could only tank my 30L with my crowntail boy in it.

Also about your current tank. Is that your permanent stocking? Tetra's and cories are schooling fish, and need to be in groups of at least six.

Totally agree,- 100% You will find that the majority of long time betta keepers will back this advice too :)

i had a sorority with my male and there is only one female left which he has left alone for over 3 months all the others he killed so im guessing its up to the females dominance however one female i gave back to the lfs because it was nipping male and female fins and flaring the male who would then retreat!

Babsie, forget housing your male with your sorority. It might work out for a few hours but unless the male went right into mating behavior the result will be difficult to deal with. Either the male or the females will not survive very long.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back