FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Take a sample of tap water and test it for chlorine. Then add a single dose of dechlorinator and aerate it for 5 minutes. Test it again. record the results. Then add another dose of dechlorinator and aerate. Then test a third time. See if there is any difference.

The pool chlorine test kit might not be able to read low levels. Or you have chloramine in the tap water and need a double dose of dechlorinator to break that down.

It sounds to me like you have a water quality issue. Try regular testing with the API test kit. You'll want to make sure ammonia and nitrite are zero and that nitrates are low. Of course the chlorine and chloramine could be a problem too.

It is a relatively new tank, but we did check the water quality once and the parameters weren't the best. When we clean the tank we use a gravel siphon, but often we are unable to get rid of all of the waste without emptying too much of the water. I'm not sure if this is due to there being too much gravel in the tank, and I am planning on taking some out, however I do not want to do water changes more often as that is when his fin recedes.
Buy a smaller gravel syphon. The thinner tubing slows the water flow and gives you time to finish cleaning the gravel. You can also slow the flow by kinking the tubing as you work.

Don't remove any gravel for the next couple of months until your water quality is high. Beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite will be in the gravel so you need to keep this.

I'm seeing many Betta in a sorry state such as this...and nearly all are surrounded by artificial ornaments and 'gravel'.
On the other fin, most, if not all, of the quality Betta I see are in decently-sized tanks and/or with plants and natural decor, such as wood or stones and lots of space to swim in.

Anyone, (and I mean everyone), who is looking after fish needs to buy proper aquarium test kits and then learn how to use them. So much fish (and fishkeeper) stress could be avoided.

I'm seeing many Betta in a sorry state such as this...and nearly all are surrounded by artificial ornaments and 'gravel'.
On the other fin, most, if not all, of the quality Betta I see are in decently-sized tanks and/or with plants and natural decor, such as wood or stones and lots of space to swim in.
The tank is 28 litres or 7 gallons and our 2 plants are natural. We did have a third plant but it kept getting stuck in the sponge filter so we had to get rid of it. I'm not sure what types are plants are as a friend gave them to us.

Take a sample of tap water and test it for chlorine. Then add a single dose of dechlorinator and aerate it for 5 minutes. Test it again. record the results. Then add another dose of dechlorinator and aerate. Then test a third time. See if there is any difference.

The pool chlorine test kit might not be able to read low levels. Or you have chloramine in the tap water and need a double dose of dechlorinator to break that down.
This is the tank we bought, including the filter and heater. It just says top filter. Not sure if that was what you were looking for.

The tank you have is fine for a single betta though I see some neons in the photos, how many do you have in there? and do you have any other fish with him? it looks like he is either doing this to himself or the other fish are, I would remove the castle if he can get inside it and any other caves you might have, I had a betta once that had a really bad habit of shredding his tail and would go into the coconut cave I had for him just so he could get at his tail.

The tank you have is fine for a single betta though I see some neons in the photos, how many do you have in there? and do you have any other fish with him? it looks like he is either doing this to himself or the other fish are, I would remove the castle if he can get inside it and any other caves you might have, I had a betta once that had a really bad habit of shredding his tail and would go into the coconut cave I had for him just so he could get at his tail.
We have 5 neons, originally 6 but one passed early on. We also have a catfish. The neons occasionally attack each other quite aggressively, but I've never seen them attack the betta. Sometimes the betta will be curious and swim up to one of the other fish, but they just move out of his way. As for the betta shredding his tail, I have never noticed him do anything, and the castle is quite open with an entrance at the front and back. When he's in the castle he mostly lies on the pebbles and watches the other fish.

We have 5 neons, originally 6 but one passed early on. We also have a catfish. The neons occasionally attack each other quite aggressively, but I've never seen them attack the betta. Sometimes the betta will be curious and swim up to one of the other fish, but they just move out of his way. As for the betta shredding his tail, I have never noticed him do anything, and the castle is quite open with an entrance at the front and back. When he's in the castle he mostly lies on the pebbles and watches the other fish.
While feeding them I discovered one was missing, and I think I found its skeleton... My mum did not inform me that we were missing any fish. So now we have 4 neons

He may still be tail shredding but you just haven't witnessed it, sometimes they do it at night, do you know what kind of catfish you have? 29 litres will be too small for any catfish to live in comfortably, not sure about the neons but perhaps they are stressing the betta out.
I would remove the castle just incase, if you like ornaments you can get one that he cannot enter :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back