Tank size: 5 gallons
pH: 6.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
kH: ?
gH: ?
tank temp: 27 degrees C./ 30 degrres F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
My mom came over the other day, and she acidently plugged my betta fish, Kenji's, heater out. The next morning, his water was at around 10 degrees C., and he was lying on the substrate. I plugged the heater back on, turned it up, and hoped for the best. When I got home from work, he was up and about but a little bit sedate. Today he was fine, but when I checked a few minutes ago, he was lying on the substrate, not moving. Thankfully he was alive, and he is fine now, but still very sedate. He is not eating any food, even frozen blood-worms. His colour and fins are normal, and he acts normal except for lying on the substrate.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 1/2 change every week.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: none

Tank inhabitants: Kenji, male Crown-Tail Betta.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Exposure to chemicals: none

Digital photo (include if possible): Lets see if this works...

119.JPG

Any help would be awsome.. please help me save Kenji!

Zophie

Unless hes lying on his side on the substrate I would think hes ok...saying this purely because I've had different bettas that used to do that all the time. Just sit on the rocks until feeding, eat, then go back and sit on the rocks. Maybe hes just not feeling too active after having a temp shock like that

Unless hes lying on his side on the substrate I would think hes ok...saying this purely because I've had different bettas that used to do that all the time. Just sit on the rocks until feeding, eat, then go back and sit on the rocks. Maybe hes just not feeling too active after having a temp shock like that
Kenji is lying on his side on the gravel... he likes to go down to the bottom, but he never flops down. It's weird... he's on the gravel, then he gets up like nothing happened, swims to the top and flares at me... :blink: I don't know what to think ????

Thankyou for the fast reply :)

yea...thats not normal if hes on his side. I was picturing upright but just on the gravel. Hmm..I'm not really good with diseases so hopefully someone else can help you out but are there any other syptoms?

:( hope he gets better

If water temp goes down fast it can cause swim bladder, whitespot, columanris.

Does he try to get off the substrate only to fall back down again.
Can he maintain balance when he swims.
Does he look darker in colour, or pale.
Does he act listless and lethagic.

If water temp goes down fast it can cause swim bladder, whitespot, columanris.

Does he try to get off the substrate only to fall back down again.
Can he maintain balance when he swims.
Does he look darker in colour, or pale.
Does he act listless and lethagic.

1. No, actually he will be lying on the substrate, then when he see's me he will get back up, swim over and start flaring.

2. Yes he can, but he swims slowly now.

3. His body looks a little bit darker- it used to be pink, but now it's a little greyish. The tips of his bottom fins are white.

3. Kenji is a a betta who is too aggresive to have tank-mates with- usually he is constantly flaring, biting, and jumping. He is still like that, but just a little calmer. Today when I came down to see how he was, he was hiding behind the heater, and it took him a minute to notice I was even there.

Thankyou for all the help :good:

Zophie

I think I would treat him with a bacterial med.
White edging to fins can also be bacterial finrot.

How's he doing Zophie?

Thanks for replys :nod:

Kenji is a strange case... he seems fine, but he always hangs out around the bottom, and sometimes lies down on his side. Otherwise he seems just like normal.
He has started eating- I gave him a pea yesterday which he gobbled up fast.
I will go out and get a bacteria med. The only one I am familier with is Maracyn, does this work? Does anyone have any recomendations for meds?
Also, it's time for a water-change tommorow, but I am worried that this might stress him out more( he is very sensative to any change in water, enviroment, etc.). Do you guys think I should peforme the water change, or not? ????

Zophie

whats the ph of your water when it comes out of the tap, and when its in the tank? do you have bogwood in the tank? just wondering if he doesnt like the slight difference in ph. might be worth leaving the water to stand a day or two before adding to the tank? for example, my water is a little over pH8 out of the tap, but 7.5 in the tank. doesnt seem to affect my fish but some are very sensitive it seems, from other posts on this forum.

Maracyn fine.
But it can knock water stats.

Just small water changes as not not stress him to much.

I did a small water change today- he seemed revived, and zoomed around his tank :wub:

Kenji is a strange case.... he doesn't lye on his side anymore, but he does spend 3/4 of his time on the bottom of the tank. He is eating once again, but hardly ever comes up to find food.

Wilder- You said that Maracyn may change water stats. Do you have any better meds?

Zophie :D

Sounds like he may have had a small case of swim bladder malfunction.

The lying on his side probably happened because of a lack of air in the swim bladder. It would have taken moving and effort to remain upright, but because he wanted to rest, he let himself go sideways. You gave him the pea, which I have heard helps with swim bladder, so perhaps he is now more easily able to fill his cavity.

Maracyn a good med.
Will get you a list of meds.

Not sure on bacterial meds in the united states with no antibiotics in them.

Here the list for you.
http://www.fishjunkies.com/Medications/

Your location is canada sorry.

Oh no! Bad news :(

I was looking at Kenji just now, and saw that his scales are slightly pointed- immediatly I thought DROPSY! :shout:
I looked at him from the top, but he wasn't sticking out like a pine-cone..... ????

Wilder, thanks for list, will look. Going to get Maracyn on weekend, and I am going to do another waterchange soon, as he seems to like them.

Will keep updates

Zophie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back