April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

jessicarf00

Reaction score
i was just trying to take some pictures of my betta, harry, and i noticed this spot on him. i canā€™t tell if this red spot on his body is part of his coloring, or missing scales. any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated:)
the photo with the spot circled is from today, the other picture is from july 29!

Attachments

• A935E491-00FA-47BB-97C7-E44E43DDD644.jpeg
    A935E491-00FA-47BB-97C7-E44E43DDD644.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 38C5B60C-F6A0-45B5-8940-88DEB9730864.jpeg
    38C5B60C-F6A0-45B5-8940-88DEB9730864.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 95
It does look like your fish may be missing some scales, possibly due to bashing something.
(I assume there are no other fish in the tank?)
I'd throw in some aquarium salt, just to be on the safe side and keep an eye open for any more developments.

i was just trying to take some pictures of my betta, harry, and i noticed this spot on him. i canā€™t tell if this red spot on his body is part of his coloring, or missing scales. any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated:)
the photo with the spot circled is from today, the other picture is from july 29!
As your Betta is carrying "marble gene" it is likely possible that Harry is starting to change colors and patterns, like evry single Betta nemo/candy/fancy/grizle/koi/galaxy/polkadot. Reason why they are sold at 4-5 months old ? Because those changes begin usually at 8-10 monyhs old.

He's a gorgeous fish!

I personally can't tell whether it's colouring or a missing scale, they certainly often do change their colouring as they mature, often quite dramatically! So I'd employ watchful waiting. Plenty of fresh clean water changes and staying on top of tank maintenance never hurts, and always helps if fish have an injury or illness, since it boosts their immune system and reduces the amounts of nasties in the water, lessening the chances of a fungal or bacterial infection.

So I'd increase the cleaning and water changes, and keep a close eye on him. Keep snapping photos so you can compare, and keep an eye out for any fluffy fungus, any changes to the spot, and any signs of illness from him like lethargy or fin clamping. If he seems well and it doesn't change, then it's likely just his colouration changing :) :fish:

i recently noticed this other spot on his other side (attached pictures) and i have the same dilemma, canā€™t tell whether itā€™s changing colors or a patch of missing scales..
today he seemed/seems a little twitchy? not sure why. but besides from that he seems normal (still very eager to eat and swims all day)
4424C86B-BBBC-4BAF-8A0F-AA54155CE43E.jpeg
B342B39D-7645-4B39-9E52-9D76445A7CE6.jpeg

i recently noticed this other spot on his other side (attached pictures) and i have the same dilemma, canā€™t tell whether itā€™s changing colors or a patch of missing scales..
today he seemed/seems a little twitchy? not sure why. but besides from that he seems normal (still very eager to eat and swims all day)
Pics of post #1 show the "red patch" then no red patch or wound.
Pics of post #5 show a red area with for now translucent scales thanks to a good šŸ”Ž
If you could make Harry flare in front of a mirror and shoot him when he stays still, will allow you to get clearer pics. Just to be sure ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back