Betta mahachai

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TWynnB

Reaction score
I stumbled on the betta mahachai and there are not many recent posts on this intriguing species.

I do see some conflicting articles and opinions on how aggressive they can be, and one of my questions is if you could have more than one male in a tank (mine is 40 gallon breeder) or if only stick to 1 M/2-3 F if anything.

Any experiences with the species that you'd care to share?

Hello :)
Stunning isn't it ?
It is OK for a pair. But as this Betta (and most others) is territorial, it wants to enlarge its kingdom and will do do everything possible to achieve this.
So to 2 males even in a rather large tank is to put a fish at risk of being wounded, and the infection that can follow it.
A chased fish will soon be all over an aquarium with no means to really escape...

As Avel mentioned, having two males will mostly likely ended with injury/death for one or both.

If you really want to keep two males, you must be prepared to have an extra tank in case they don't work out.

According to one wild Betta(Mahachai, Imbellis, Smaragdina, etc) breeder's advice, you can't keep two males in a same tank.

The only gregarious Betta I kept years ago was Betta chanoides. First 2 males and 1 female, then 3 males and 6 females. Males were flaring but nothing else.

Interesting on the chanoides. I have hard alkaline water so the mahachi seem a good fit, most of the others prefer acidic water.

Makes sense on the 1M thing and doesn't bother me. The one source I found near me that I like has all juveniles, which aren't sexed (I believe). I'll need to go with one of the sources further away that I can pick and choose sexes.
Any feelings on if a pair is better, or a trio?

Interesting on the chanoides
Yeah ! The smallest mouthbrooder Betta !

I have hard alkaline water so the mahachi seem a good fit
Normally, yes. What are your tapwater parameters ?

most of the others prefer acidic water.
Right.

Makes sense on the 1M thing and doesn't bother me. The one source I found near me that I like has all juveniles, which aren't sexed (I believe). I'll need to go with one of the sources further away that I can pick and choose sexes.
Females are usually less colored than males.

Any feelings on if a pair is better, or a trio?
Theoretically speaking, yes. But it also will depends on females personality : it could works if from a sorority. Or not.

Ooch ! that's the upper limit of normal mahachaiensis can bear. It would be (much) better to provide it pH 7.5 and GH 15.
I always advice to target the middle of the range, never upmost or lowest limits if you want your fish to thrice ;)

It is within their limits.
The way mine is naturally, it's very stable. Never varies at all. I'd rather have stability at the end, then instability in the middle.

It is within their limits.
I still consider pH 8.2 is too close to pH 8.5 even if stability is important, but it's up to you.

Edit : Betta mahachaiensis is used to live in Nypa fruticans roots.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with the malachai personality? Hard to find much information, but seems they're quite shy and hide a lot?

They easily stress-out if in community tank. In this case you won't see him a lot.
You could add him a school of Boraras uropthalmoides.

Most reactions

trending

Back