Betta lost scales

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So, a few days a go I noticed that my betta had lost a few scales along his back. I had done a water change just the day before, so I thought maybe he scraped them off then, or sometime during the next day. I have been watching him closely since then and he has not lost any more scales. My question is, should I add something to the water to prevent any sickness? Some aquarium salt maybe?

Also, I have noticed a white patch on his gill. I can't tell if he lost a scale on there too, or if it is just discolored, but I figured I'd post a picture of that too, just in case.

He is eating and swimming around normally, and is showing no signs of illness. I just wanted to know if there is anything I should do to prevent any issues until the scales grow back. Thanks!

1583517593623.png

1583517642472.png

just do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week.
make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

no need to do anything else unless he develops an infection.

Okay, I was planning on doing some extra water changes anyway. Any thoughts on the white patch on his gill?

75% water changes is a bit excessive. What size is the tank? If you do water changes every 2ish days and put a drop or so of stress coat on him it'll help with healing. Avoid the salt for now and just keep the tank warm and clean.

Thank you for your reply. I ended up just leaving him be and keeping an eye on him. He is doing fine now and his scales have already grown back.

Thank you for your reply. I ended up just leaving him be and keeping an eye on him. He is doing fine now and his scales have already grown back.

I'm glad to hear it, it must've been a minor injury. My guy took a week to grow his 1 scale back, must've been a deeper wound.

Actually, I posted this thread about 3 weeks ago now. They started coming in after about 5 days, and grew in all the way a few days ago.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back