Betta just had his best meal!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

However - mystery snails can't be bought in the UK - or in the EU. The import and spreading of all Pomacea snails was banned in the EU several years ago after a species of Pomacea was found in a river in Spain. We may have just left the EU but that law is unlikely to be repealed any time soon.

This means you have the choice of nerite or ramshorn snails - and ramshorns will breed, unlike nerites.
Did not know this, good info...

Yeh they'd be fine. They get huge so the betta won't bother them and they don't breed prolifically like other snails. I've had mine for nearly a year and they've never bred once.
I once had a betta that was an absolute terror...tried a mystery snail with him...he nipped at the snail's eye tentacles!...had to rehome the snail

However - mystery snails can't be bought in the UK - or in the EU. The import and spreading of all Pomacea snails was banned in the EU several years ago after a species of Pomacea was found in a river in Spain. We may have just left the EU but that law is unlikely to be repealed any time soon.

This means you have the choice of nerite or ramshorn snails - and ramshorns will breed, unlike nerites.
Ahh thanks, I didn't know that. Tbh I may just leave him be. He obviously wasn't too keen on his first lot of tank mates so may just leave it at that lol.

?? I've just been having a look in his tank and I've found one of the shrimp alive. I can only conclude that blue is yet to find him.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your shrimp.

I have my first betta named Max. He is a little guy compared to the others in the surrounding cups that day. I was hoping I could get him, tank mates, so the first is a nitrite snail to see how he will react. So far he has just ignored it. He has yet to show very much aggression. I started putting my finger up to the tank and he would quickly dart away. But of late he has started flaring up a more as I do that.

Mine never showed any aggression at all, even when I put the floating mirror in his tank, never flared.
I've noticed a lot more flaring in the last 3 days and now believe he is tail biting, but thats a whole other thread.
I moved the light in his tank and think he could see his reflection, so now I have that to worry about.

I think we can still have rabbit snails too! I've been eyeing up the ones in my LFS anyway. I haven't gone for it yet since I don't know whether they're likely to munch plants, but they're kinda derpily adorable.

Still a bit gutted we can't have mystery snails here, and I remember the bright yellow apple snails my dad used to keep in his tank, long before the ban, and before he was given some botia loaches which wiped out the apples. Shame!

We can get anything that isn't a Pomacea, luckily :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back