Betta just had his best meal!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I was reading that sometimes bettas can have friends in their tank, shrimps, snails etc depending on their temprerment.
Well I thought my boy was so chilled out why would there be a problem. I've just been and bought 5 shrimp, less than half an hour in the tank and 1 is already dead, victim to my (not so chilled as I thought) betta ?.
Big mistake by me but blue is having the time of his life.
Also I think I may be scarred for life after seeing the first victim meet his fate lol.

That’s a bummer man, sorry for your loss. :/

On another note, would anyone recommend skipping a couple of feedings after this.
I had just bloody fed him aswel.

Same thing happened to me when i bought some ghost shrimp and chucked them in my community tank with angels....it was an absolute massacre! The angels were happy though.

Maybe buy a big clump of java moss to give the little guys a place to hide?

Same thing happened to me when i bought some ghost shrimp and chucked them in my community tank with angels....it was an absolute massacre! The angels were happy though.

Maybe buy a big clump of java moss to give the little guys a place to hide?
I'm not going down the same route again with shrimp lol. I might try a snail but I see disadvanges with every kind I look at so may not bother.
I only tried because I thought he might be lonely, apparently not.

Golden Mystery snails are great. I've got 2 of them and they've never bred, always on the move chomping on algae and keeping the tank clean.

Are they ok to keep with bettas. Everytime I read about snails it was either they breed like crazy, or I think it was a nerite snail doesnt breed but leaves eggs all over the tank?

Yeh they'd be fine. They get huge so the betta won't bother them and they don't breed prolifically like other snails. I've had mine for nearly a year and they've never bred once.

Mystery snails only breed of there is a male and a female. They also lay their eggs above the waterline in your tank. If they lay their eggs and you don't want more snails then just look above the waterline, and scrape off any egg clumps you see. Mystery snails would be a good choice for you I think.

Thanks so much for that info. How many snails would you recommend for a 5 gallon betta tank

However - mystery snails can't be bought in the UK - or in the EU. The import and spreading of all Pomacea snails was banned in the EU several years ago after a species of Pomacea was found in a river in Spain. We may have just left the EU but that law is unlikely to be repealed any time soon.

This means you have the choice of nerite or ramshorn snails - and ramshorns will breed, unlike nerites.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back