Betta In Serious Condition

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

qwertylol52

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
2 days ago, my friend went overseas and he asked me to help him take care of his fishes...he left in the morning 2 days ago and that afternoon i went there to see what i could do with his fishes...when i entered his bedroom i saw a male veiltail in a small dirty tank...it also had finrot, not moving much and had its protective slime coat peeling off...i took the fish back home and kept it in my small 1 gall tank ( however still much better then the jar he was in before)

i added melafix, stress coat and ketapang extract( a.k.a blackwater extract) his not showing much improvement though...2 nights ago, which is the same day when i brought him back home, he was trying to poo..the faeces is big and like a round ball, that i know is normal but it is also hanging from his anus by a thin thread like substance, today it is still there and so i use a pair of pliers for aquatic plants to pull it out, however the thin thread is still hanging there...any ideas?
what can i do?

that gvuys gonna get it from me when he returns!

Attachments

• RIMG0023.JPG
    RIMG0023.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 32
  • RIMG0027.JPG
    RIMG0027.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 26
If his fins are bad and his slime coat peeling I would add a bacterial med.
Melafix is only good when fins are healing.
He could be constipated try some peas.
Cook peas for a few minutes, let cool down and pop out of shell. mush between fingers into small peices and add to his tank.

If his fins are bad and his slime coat peeling I would add a bacterial med.
Melafix is only good when fins are healing.
He could be constipated try some peas.
Cook peas for a few minutes, let cool down and pop out of shell. mush between fingers into small peices and add to his tank.

thanks...i'll get the meds and pea tomorow...so what do i do with the thin thread like thing now?

The thin threads might be constipation thats why I said try the peas.
Long stringy white poo can mean constipation, bacterial infection, to internal parasites.

Poor baby... don't feed him too much because it will make him worse. I did it yesterday with a fairly recent rescue. He was constipated so I starved him a bit because he wouldn't eat peas... apparently it didn't work and I fed him too much at once, and now he's got dropsy. If your friend's betta ends up with dropsy it is harder to treat, it needs antibiotics and a lot of TLC.

Finrot on bettas is often just poor water quality or even ammonia burns, it heals very rapidly once the betta is kept in clean conditions. I have rescued quite a lot of abused pet store bettas and it is miraculous what good food and clean water will do. I think this one needs a bit more though. If he won't eat peas like mine won't epsom salts will sometimes work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back