Betta in 30 gallon?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kahlen.m

Reaction score
hi! I have been cycling my 30 gallon planted tank for over a month now. And I think its time to get some fish in. One fish that came to mind was my betta that I have had for over a year, but would he be OK in the 30 gallon? Or should I keep him in his 10 gallon. ( I also made sure the filter wasn't to strong for him)

I suggest keeping him in the 10g.

You can keep him in a 30g, but I don’t suggest it.

If you keep in the 10g tank, you have more stocking options for the 30g. What model/brand of filter do you have?

Fluval I did however cut up my old sponge filter and used the sponge to reduce output

You can move the Betta into the 30g, but why would you? He is not a community fish, so he would be the only fish in thee tank. And most of us like more than one fish in tanks that are larger than 5 or 10 gallons. The Betta will be just as happy and content in the 10g as a 30g or 100g. And you will have options for other fish without him.

If you just want to keep betta only, 10 gallon would be better for them. However, if you want to add more kind of fish, you should choose 30 gallon. Once setting up an aquarium to house both bettas and others, it is best to add the other fish first to allow them to establish their set territories for a few weeks prior to adding the Betta.

The betta is an Anabantidae, and will not show you anything about your new tank Anabantidae's breath from the air and can live in water that other fish would never survive in. Leave him where he is and put say a barb or tetra in the new tank

If you just want to keep betta only, 10 gallon would be better for them. However, if you want to add more kind of fish, you should choose 30 gallon. Once setting up an aquarium to house both bettas and others, it is best to add the other fish first to allow them to establish their set territories for a few weeks prior to adding the Betta.
Bettas are not community fish, and shouldn’t be kept as such, especially with colorful, long finned species. These could be mistaken for other makes, leading to aggression.

They should also never be kept with any notorious fin nippers, as the betta will get extremely stressed.

Bettas are not community fish, and shouldn’t be kept as such, especially with colorful, long finned species. These could be mistaken for other makes, leading to aggression.

They should also never be kept with any notorious fin nippers, as the betta will get extremely stressed.
Yep but I think adding a few others with bettas in a large tank, like 30 gallon is oke

One thing to think about is how high is your tank? Bettas often come to the surface to breathe, and they aren't great swimmers due to their long fins, so I think deep tanks aren't ideal for them. If it's a long tank, that's probably ok. But I agree that it's better not to add companions to Betta tanks as they do better alone. Feeding is also easier to navigate.

Most reactions

Back