April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

jessicarf00

Reaction score
just tonight i noticed a speck on my betta that i assume is ich. i normally wouldnā€™t be so freaked out but i leave for a 6 day vacation on thursday so i know i canā€™t do much between now and then. i have somebody lined up to feed him but i have no medications and i canā€™t rely on this person to fully monitor him like i would. any help would be very very very much appreciated. iā€™m bawling right now because i just donā€™t know what to do. he is my very first fish and i just want him to be happy and healthy. i can upload a picture of him shortly. just for some background info - heā€™s by himself in a heated filtered and cycled 10 gallon tank. iā€™ve had him for about a month. the last water change was on sunday and i did about 50%. thanks.

okay. confused. i cried for awhile and looked back and i donā€™t see it anymore. if anyone still has any advice iā€™d still appreciate it!! - a very stressed first time fish owner

The safest way to treat white spot is with heat. Simply raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone. No medications needed and the Betta will be fine at that temperature while you are away.

Do a big water change and gravel clean before raising the temperature. Clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You don't need to feed the fish if you are only going away for 1 week. the fish will be fine without food during that time. If you do chose to get someone to feed the fish, measure out the food and tell them to only feed 1 serving per feed. And only feed the fish once every couple of days.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back