Betta has white circles around eyes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ella93

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently got 2 female bettas in a new tank (water is conditioned and heated at 26 degrees celcius - and I waited 24hours before putting them in the tank). One of the bettas suddenly got bulgy eyes and white circles around her eyes, she also doesn't eat or swim around too much.. Any advice would really help as I have no idea what to do?

Attachments

• 20200529_162535.jpg
    20200529_162535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 20200529_162527.jpg
    20200529_162527.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 20200529_162532.jpg
    20200529_162532.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
Did they just start looking like that or have they been that way? Both eyes?

Some bettas have larger eyes but if it just started it’s Pop Eye. It is usually due to water conditions. You don’t seem to have cycled your tank before adding fish. That takes several weeks. Please read on the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle here. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/. Since you now have fish in the tank you will have to do a “Fish In Cycle.” Do daily water changes of 75% daily for the next 10 days. That should help and also give your tank a chance to build beneficial bacteria. I recommend getting an API Freshwater Master Test Kit too so you’ll know how much ammonia, nitrogen, and nitrates your tank has as these are toxic to fish. Here to help. :)

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If there's no improvement after acouple of water changes, add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litre (56 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
If you do water changes while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains constant.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If there's no improvement after acouple of water changes, add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litre (56 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
If you do water changes while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains constant.
I will do that, thank you so much!

Most reactions

Back