Betta has been dying for months, I’ve tried everything.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Marysssa

Reaction score
My betta was sick when I bought him about three months ago but I got him into a heated, filtered tank and his condition improved drastically. He was doing just fine for about two weeks and then it all went to hell. Out of no where his color began to fade again, he began clamping his dorsal fin, and his fins started to rot. Now I tried everything under the sun to make him better, and maybe that’s worsened things at this point, but I couldn’t identify the illness and wanted to try anyway. I started by treating him with betta fix. Most people think it’s snake oil and it probably is, but I gave it a shot anyway because it was the least invasive. When that didn’t work I cleaned the tank, waited a few days, and began methylene blue baths for 30 mins every day for a week. No improvement, but he didn’t get worse. I stopped the methylene blue and a few days later started him on kanaplex. Dosed as instructed. His condition declined exponentially after the first two doses. Whether this was caused by the kanaplex, stopping the methylene blue, or just days passing, I don’t know. When nothing worked I started to treat with aquarium salt and betta revive. His condition is only getting worse. I can’t figure out what it is. He stopped eating a few days ago and can’t swim straight. I don’t want to put him down but I may have to. I’m pretty much out of hope and options at this point, but if anyone has had a similar issue and knows what it might be at least, I’d appreciate it. This has been agony the past few weeks. I’ve been to three fish stores and they’ve all made their suggestions, obviously to no avail. This morning I found a hole in his tail fin. My water conditions are all perfect and within range and have been the entire time with the exception of my first heater dying and overheating the tank a couple months ago. It was gradually cooled back to normal temperature and he didn’t seem to suffer any ill effects from the incident.

Edit: I should also mention that everything I did was on the duel advice of forums and specialized fish store employees along with hours of research. I wasn’t dumping stuff in willy nilly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your betta.
I'm not sure of the age of your fish, but most bettas live around 2-3 years. It's hard to say this, you've tried everything and I don't think anything more can be done to heal the fish. Just like us human, there's a time when no medical care could heal the illness.
We fishkeepers have been through this heart breaking process.

He’s only about five months by my estimates, but they could be off. He’s very very small for a male betta. I just feel so bad for the little thing. He spent most of his life in a tiny petco container, was healthy for a little over a week, and is dying now. I assumed nothing more could be done because I’ve done legitimately everything. It just sucks. Thanks for the reply <3
Sorry to hear about your betta.
I'm not sure of the age of your fish, but most bettas live around 2-3 years. It's hard to say this, you've tried everything and I don't think anything more can be done to heal the fish. Just like us human, there's a time when no medical care could heal the illness.
We fishkeepers have been through this heart breaking process.

If you decide to get another betta, I suggest that the tank is properly cycled and provide some plants so that the fish feels more at home. I don't think having a large tank is necessary as betta don't swim much, but having aquatic plants is important. Having said that, large tank will provide more stability to water quality. And no blue or pink pebbles as we don't have those in their natural habitat.

Attachments

• 20221108_163155.jpg
    20221108_163155.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 35
It's a sad story. If you take pity on a fish in the store and buy it because it is sick, this is the result though. Once you see signs of disease, the damage progresses and you get a very short lived fish. A healthy Betta splendens without the largest fins should live for around 5 years.

If your betta came with Mycobacteriosis, none of those treatments would have helped. It's an incurable disease that often hits bettas.

Pebble colours and decor are a matter of taste. The natural habitat of a long finned Betta is a glass jar. They themselves are totally human modified fish, so set up your tank as you wish. Just have plants. That they need!

Fair point, they are human modified fish, but they aren't bred in glass jar with pebbles though! And they still have Splendens DNA.

Last edited:
I have done this so many times. More times than I care to remember and I swear I'll never do it again but I always do. I feel sorry for a sickly Betta and bring him home. I am just positive that he will perk up and get better at my house. They always have a rebound but they never fully recover. Animal Planet should do a show about me. The Betta Undertaker.

Oof.. that looks bad. the only straightforward advice I can give is to add live plants to your tank. Bettas love live plants and they reduce the stress on the betta which can naturally help with most problems. I think there is nothing to do at this point, but if you feel terrible about this betta the best thing to do is to buy a healthy betta. This may sound stupid but if you feel bad for the fish, you can’t ever guarantee that the sick fish you are trying to save will make it.

Edit: I did not realize how late I am… my bad

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back