Betta fry white spots

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is first time im feeding betta fry bbs. Its hard to find daphnia,moina here. Fry are 3.5 week old. This time many fry survived. But yesterday morning i was finding dead fry. So saw closely and i found they have white spots. Fry are little pinkish white so it was hard to find. I was adding indian almond extract in tank. But still they got white spots. May be temperature variation. I dont have heater. Temperature here is 23-28 degree.
So now i did big water change and added methylene blue. Is it necessary to add salt in it?

Can you post a picture of the fish?

Whitespot has to be introduced into an aquarium and doesn't just pop up out of nowhere.

Methylene Blue does not treat protozoan infections like whitespot. It does bacteria and fungus.

If they do have whitespot (Ichthyophthirius), just raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then reduce it to 26-28C. 28C is the best temperature for raising tropical fish fry.

Baby fish don't like temperature fluctuations so make sure they have a heater and keep the temperature stable.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when raising the temperature because the warmer water holds less oxygen and the baby fish won't have a functional labyrinth organ yet.

Whitespot has to be introduced into an aquarium and doesn't just pop up out of nowhere.

Methylene Blue does not treat protozoan infections like whitespot. It does bacteria and fungus.

If they do have whitespot (Ichthyophthirius), just raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then reduce it to 26-28C. 28C is the best temperature for raising tropical fish fry.

Baby fish don't like temperature fluctuations so make sure they have a heater and keep the temperature stable.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when raising the temperature because the warmer water holds less oxygen and the baby fish won't have a functional labyrinth organ yet.
Ok ill post pic

Attachments

• IMG-20190920-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20190920-WA0012.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG-20190920-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20190920-WA0010.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 309
I'm not sure that is whitespot. It looks a bit like excess mucous.

Do any of your other fish have white spots?
Have you got any new fish in the last 2 weeks?
Are any of them rubbing on objects in the tank?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?

-----------------------------
Raise the temperature to 30C and check the water quality. If it is whitespot the heat will treat it. If there is no change in a few days then it's something else.

I'm not sure that is whitespot. It looks a bit like excess mucous.

Do any of your other fish have white spots?
Have you got any new fish in the last 2 weeks?
Are any of them rubbing on objects in the tank?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?

-----------------------------
Raise the temperature to 30C and check the water quality. If it is whitespot the heat will treat it. If there is no change in a few days then it's something else.
Colin, what you say about excess mucous ? That's a new one on me but wouldn't white spot kill fry pretty fast? And I assume you mean ichthyopthirius.

By whitespot I do mean Ichthyophthirius. And yes it kills any fish (adult or baby) very fast.

All fish have a thin mucous layer over their body. This is the slime people feel when handling a fish. The mucous helps the fish move through the water easier and also provides a layer of protection against disease organisms in the water.

If fish get stressed from poor water quality, chemicals, wrong temperature, external parasites, etc, they can produce more mucous and it can appear as a cream or white film over the body. Sometimes if can appear bumpy and you get creamy white lumps over the body or fins.

If the water quality is good then it could be whitespot. However, if none of the other fish have whitespot and no new fish have been obtained during the last 2 weeks, it's unlikely to be whitespot because whitespot has to be introduced into an aquarium from something like contaminated water, ornaments or plants, or a diseased fish. If nothing new has been brought in, and none of the other fish have whitespot, then where would this come from.

It's also why I asked if any of them were rubbing on objects in the tank. External protozoan infections like whitespot and velvet will irritate the fish and they rub on objects to try and dislodge the parasites. If none of the baby fish are rubbing/ flashing on object, then it is more likely to be mucous.

Yes, I know about a fishes mucous layer but I was not aware that it could change in any way. As for ich killing fish I thought that being the virulent thing it is that it would be doubly deadly for fry and kill them much faster. Thank you for all that very useful information.

By whitespot I do mean Ichthyophthirius. And yes it kills any fish (adult or baby) very fast.

All fish have a thin mucous layer over their body. This is the slime people feel when handling a fish. The mucous helps the fish move through the water easier and also provides a layer of protection against disease organisms in the water.

If fish get stressed from poor water quality, chemicals, wrong temperature, external parasites, etc, they can produce more mucous and it can appear as a cream or white film over the body. Sometimes if can appear bumpy and you get creamy white lumps over the body or fins.

If the water quality is good then it could be whitespot. However, if none of the other fish have whitespot and no new fish have been obtained during the last 2 weeks, it's unlikely to be whitespot because whitespot has to be introduced into an aquarium from something like contaminated water, ornaments or plants, or a diseased fish. If nothing new has been brought in, and none of the other fish have whitespot, then where would this come from.

It's also why I asked if any of them were rubbing on objects in the tank. External protozoan infections like whitespot and velvet will irritate the fish and they rub on objects to try and dislodge the parasites. If none of the baby fish are rubbing/ flashing on object, then it is more likely to be mucous.
Yes they were seems irritated.and moving jerky kind motion

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back