Betta Fish Suddenly Flaring & Changing Attitude

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BettaJai

Reaction score
Hiii! I'm new to this site but I have a question, if anyone could answer it for me... So my betta, Casper, is around a year old now. He's always been a sweet, happy, and curious fish. One time he got some fin rot while my bf was taking care of him over a vacation (UGH!) but that's all cured now. His fins have just about grown all the way back and he's super active. However, he suddenly became really aggressive... He constantly flares his gills at me when I come close to the tank, and no longer follows my finger like he used to. He just sees it and swims away super quick, only to come back and flare. His water is just fine, he's got a nice 3.5 or 4 gallon tank (don't remember exactly) all to himself, plenty of leaf hammocks, a hiding cave, rocks, and a filter. I also have some live vine leaf plants growing inside that he likes. His water temp usually sits around 79 degrees and he has a bubble nest at the top side of his tank. I try to feed him twice a day but sometimes I only feed him once. Have I done something wrong to lose my sweet boy?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If he has a bubblenest, then he is feeling broody, like a mother hen looking after her eggs. He is feeling territorial and is telling you to stay away from his nest.

Thanks Colin_T! :)

I suppose that makes sense... You don't think anything else may possibly be wrong? He's just feeling territorial?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back