Betta Fish Problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've cured dropsy in my fish using a salt bath twice a day. I filled a five gallon bucket with dechlorinated water and added 7 tablespoons of aquarium salt. I kept the fish in the bath for 20 minutes and continued doing that until the dropsy went away.

Unfortunately, he passed away this morning. I looked around a few pet stores for some of the medications mentioned and they weren’t available. We were going to place the Amazon order today but it was too late :(

I think he was just an old fish at the end of his life, don't stress. There was nothing you could do for him. ;)

I am so sorry for your loss :(

I have cured dropsy by moving my betta to 2 gal qt tank and do daily 100% water changes, next time you’re doing this, make sure you match the salinity, pH and temperature before adding the water into your aquarium.

I think he was just an old fish at the end of his life, don't stress. There was nothing you could do for him. ;)
I don’t think age have anything to do with dropsy.

Last edited:
As fish or any animal gets older, it's immune system becomes weaker and they become more susceptible to diseases and infections. If it was an old fish, then it would be more likely to get sick and harder for it to recover.

That doesn't mean this was caused by old age, just that older fish and animals are more likely to have problems.

Dropsy can occur in young or old fish and can be caused by Fish TB, or any number of bacterial or protozoan infections that damage the digestive tract or internal organs. It can also be caused by bad food that has bad bacteria that cause an internal infection.

Most reactions

trending

Back