Betta Fish Problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The OP said he is ordering the test kit. Should it come in soon @scowt23? If so, as soon as you get it, test your water.

Your betta looks pretty bad, I’m not going to lie. @Deanasue is the betta illness expert here on TFF. She can spearhead this much better than I could. :)

Last edited:
It is not ich. Ich looks like little white spots all over the body. I could be an injury or something else. @Colin_T is our disease guy so maybe he can say for sure. Until then keep doing the water changes :)
Don’t forget about @Deanasue! She is our betta disease gal! ;)

Last edited:
The OP said he is ordering the test kit. Should it come in soon @scowt23? If so, as soon as you get it, test your water.

Your betta looks pretty bad, I’m not going to lie. @Deanasue is the betta illness here on TFF. She can spearhead this much better than I could. :)
She is a what?! A “betta illness”? :rofl:

I have been doing the large water changes daily with declorinator. He has been in our tank since the first week of December. He has had no issues until this week. I had to order the kit via Amazon. It's supposed to be here by Sunday or Monday. I did have a kit to test ammonia and it was at 0. Plus I've been doing the changes. I'm honestly less worried about the water, and more concerned about the patch on his back and whether it is an injury or illness. Pics are in the original post. We got another betta in a different tank, but same setup and it is doing really well. I think maybe this guy got hurt and I did take out the decor that may have been the issue. I guess I'm just wondering if he will recover, or if he's suffering. :( I may be way over thinking this.

I have been doing the large water changes daily with declorinator. He has been in our tank since the first week of December. He has had no issues until this week. I had to order the kit via Amazon. It's supposed to be here by Sunday or Monday. I did have a kit to test ammonia and it was at 0. Plus I've been doing the changes. I'm honestly less worried about the water, and more concerned about the patch on his back and whether it is an injury or illness. Pics are in the original post. We got another betta in a different tank, but same setup and it is doing really well. I think maybe this guy got hurt and I did take out the decor that may have been the issue. I guess I'm just wondering if he will recover, or if he's suffering. :( I may be way over thinking this.
But these are the things you do when you can't leave your house except to grocery shop or go to the pharmacy.

Does the wound look like it’s improving any with the water changes? It may help to add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons too. It is an astringent and will keep the wound clean. It also lowers stress. If the wound is getting larger, then it needs a bacterial med such as Furan-2 and an antibiotic like Seachem Kanaplex. You can use both together according to package directions.

Last edited:
Thank you @Deanasue for your response. It's hard to tell if the wound is improving because he is staying well hidden at the bottom of the tank of late. He doesn't swim around much so I can't get the best look at him.

I went ahead and ordered some aquarium salt. It won't be here until Monday though.

Percy Jackson went over the rainbow bridge sometime in the night. My kid is sad. Thanks for trying to help everyone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back