Betta fish pineconing and loosing scales

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Hey yā€™all. I made a discussion post a couple months ago about this but my beta recovered and now sheā€™s relapsed. Badly. She didnā€™t make it through the night. But I would still like to figure out what was wrong + how to treat it in the future.

I thought it was dropsy 2 months ago. Her tummy swelled and her scales pineconed a bit but then she recovered. And she acted completely healthy afterwards.

But this time within the span of three days: her stomach bulged even more than it had the first time, her scales we practically standing up from how pineconed they were, but then white patches started to form on her and I thought she had acquired velvet ontop of thatā€¦ nope, I realized last night, it was her scales falling off. Rapidly. And she lost her sight, I went to feed her an extra night snack and she followed the shadow of my finger but could not find the food, gave no indication she even saw it. Maybe she wasnā€™t even interested. A water change didnā€™t seem to help much and I was considering medication but I couldnā€™t figure out what it was. She was alone in her tank so itā€™s not like mean tankmates could be ripping off her scales.

Hereā€™s some pictures I took of her last night:
8CB4BE28-8496-49B8-B431-F3262B497F5D.jpeg
606D00A2-0AA6-4322-8FAD-3619A2A8B153.jpeg

C3C99CA7-CA54-4509-9160-D5B4293BB9BC.jpeg

Looking at her body this morning there did appear to be some abdominal bleeding, but Iā€™m not an expert, part of her tummy just looked like it had a reddish tinted blob. So was this just a nasty case of dropsy??

Iā€™m gonna go get her water tested today and this tank is gonna be a very thorough cleaning before I even consider using it again.

Usually this sort of thing is the result of a water quality issue. When you get your water test results back that may shed some light on what caused it. Do you have a picture of the tank?

Went to my LFS and they did a strip test.
0 ammonia
0 nitrate
7.5 ph

I asked them what they thought it was and they werenā€™t too sure. They were thinking it was just an extremely nasty case of fin rot or an infection

Regardless, Iā€™m starting the tank over from scratch and am in the process of scrubbing the tank with vinegar.

Edit: I forgot you also asked for a picture of her tank
FFDF4488-342E-47AE-976B-5F9D33A39F56.jpeg
the big plant on the left died which I noticed as I was clearing the tank out but other than that nothing was really different.

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same issue with my baby boy. He has a huge patch on his side where the scales are just gone. I made a post about him if you want to see pictures. He started looking bloated today, and I think it might be his organs failing. I've been trying to medicate him with kanaplex and jungle clear tabs, but nothing has really worked so far. I'm seriously considering euthanizing him soon.

I'm really sorry for your loss. She was beautiful and loved.

I have copied and pasted my reply from the other thread with similar problems.

Some of these fish have had incredibly stressful lives, they then get to a stage where they just give up, there is nothing we can do about it. This is the second fish today with the "I give up" symptoms. They typically look a look older than they are and they don't respond to any type of treatment

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back