Betta Fish Isn't Swimming a lot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Hi, Iā€™m a total newbie, but wanted to say something about Bettas, I have three, two males and a female, each one has a different character. Fenella is busy swimming all over her tank, never stops, typical female. Clarence huge personality, sees me when I walk in the room and starts what I call his song and dance, so he can get more food and he will eat everything and anything, out of my hand literally, heā€™s only been with me a month.
But Colter, is a shy boy, he knows me and comes up to the tank, but is an incredibly fussy eater, and spends a lot of his time between plants and to himself.
So keep that in mind, once you are happy with how your tank is, established etc. All Fish, especially Bettas, have different personalities, thatā€™s my two cents worth.

I do not trust the test results that are given by the vast majority of the employees at the big box pet stores. If they test your water and it shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates...they will likely say your parameters are just fine. However, that is not true.

Your target numbers should show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrate levels between 20 and 40 ppm. If your water is not showing any nitrates, your tank is not ready for fish.

I also suggest that you add some botanicals (Indian Almond leaves are perfect). The botanicals will stain your water a tea color, but you can remove them later after your tank is fully established. After a couple of 50% water changes, the tea color should disappear entirely.

Bettas are fantastic fish and when properly cared for are typically active and sociable.

I do not trust the test results that are given by the vast majority of the employees at the big box pet stores. If they test your water and it shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates...they will likely say your parameters are just fine. However, that is not true.

Your target numbers should show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrate levels between 20 and 40 ppm. If your water is not showing any nitrates, your tank is not ready for fish.

I also suggest that you add some botanicals (Indian Almond leaves are perfect). The botanicals will stain your water a tea color, but you can remove them later after your tank is fully established. After a couple of 50% water changes, the tea color should disappear entirely.

Bettas are fantastic fish and when properly cared for are typically active and sociable.

I'm starting to consider that things aren't alright. He's still acting lethargic and losing appetite, so that's not a sign that he's still adjusting. I took more clear photos--here's a more clear picture, one frontal, and one side. I'm also starting to think that he may have fin rot or popeye... :(

Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/eWfqJ1j

I donā€™t see Popeye or fin rot. Any other symptoms?

You really want to keep you nitrates at 20ppm or below. 40ppm is too high.

I donā€™t see Popeye or fin rot. Any other symptoms?

You really want to keep you nitrates at 20ppm or below. 40ppm is too high.
Only thing I can think of is boredom. But I have a toy and hae gotten more decorations. I'm not even sure anymore but I'm still really concerned about him. The nitrates are at 20 ppm.

Iā€™d just watch him. Some bettas are just not as outgoing as others. He had a somewhat heavy tail so he may not swim as much. I have one like that. He enjoys sitting on a plant or floating in his betta log. My other one never quits swimming. They are in a divided tank sharing the same water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back