Betta Fish Isn't Swimming a lot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It depends very much on the betta. I've read of bettas that would eat nothing for a couple of weeks, then they realised that what the owner put in the tank was food and started to eat. On the other hand, every betta I've ever had ate from the first time I put food in the tank.

My betta fish didn’t eat for the first 1-2 days I got him (become of the drive/stress) and then after that, he was fine. :)

(I must have missed it, but how long have you had him?)

My betta fish didn’t eat for the first 1-2 days I got him (become of the drive/stress) and then after that, he was fine. :)

(I must have missed it, but how long have you had him?)

I just had him for about three days now. Still not eating that much and he sleeps often in the plants.

It could just be stress, May I please see a picture of him?

My Betta hid a lot and didn't come up to eat for about 3 days after I got him Now he comes out when I near the tank and comes to the surface when I drop in food with my fingers or a miniature spoon. And he now swims about the tank more. I do have one neon and 3 harlequin rasboars in the tank and they were in there before introducing him to the tank. They seem to ignore each other now which is good. If issues arise I have another tank to move the neon and harleys.

Last edited:
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

---------------------
Does his head normal bend in a different direction to his body?
He doesn't look good there. He looks rather uncomfortable.

Whenever he rests it's always at a corner or plant. He tends to sleep a lot on his side doing that. He happens to sleep a lot when I'm not around too. I really don't know what to do, I don't want to stress him out if he's uncomfortable. What should I do to make him more comfortable in his tank?

Last edited:
He is in an odd position. I’ve never seen a betta rest like that. Something isn’t right. Does he swim normal?

Make sure the water is good and has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 20ppm of nitrate.

Feed him a varied diet including dry, live and frozen (but defrosted) foods.

You can try putting a mirror next to his tank for a couple of minutes. He will see his reflection and consider it an intruder. He will display at his reflection in an attempt to drive the intruder away. After a couple of minutes (no more than 10-15minutes) you remove the mirror and he struts around like a big tough guy because he has driven off the intruder.

You can use the mirror once or twice a week but not too often.

If he is already shy and timid, I would hold off a bit on using the mirror. It may stress him out. Give him a little more time to acclimate first. Good luck!

He does sleep like that a lot, and ends up sleeping in the gravel much more than he does in the plants. But I'm checking for any physical symptoms of sickness--no white spots or protruding things from his body. He also does like exploring one side of the tank more than the other but still occasionally roams around the wholoe tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back