oc.eannn

Reaction score
Someone please help im worried about my new betta. The pet shop told me I can add him in one day after setting up the tank. Heā€™s been in the tank around 36 hours now and was doing fine however i noticed the tank temperature was slightly out of range at 84Ā°F so i have now lowered it to 80Ā°F.

I say this because i saw him sitting at the top of the tank for a while after he stopped swimming around. I checked and this could mean either the tank is too warm meaning heā€™s not getting enough oxygen at the bottom. Or that the oxygen levels in general are too low? The tank has a filter and heater so whatā€™s wrong. How can i stop this because i fear him passing and iā€™ve just gotten him. How do i increase oxygen levels asap. Is it just because the tank isnā€™t cycled yet? If so how long does this take and will he be okay?

Heā€™s been swimming around more today which is a good thing i assume. Utilising both the top and bottom of the tank. However he seems to spend a lot of time at the surface. Iā€™ve tried disturbing the water surface, increasing filter flow, moving plants and lowering the temperature. Nothing working.

Attachments

• AED6C6D4-66EF-4E3F-8382-F38226186527.jpeg
    AED6C6D4-66EF-4E3F-8382-F38226186527.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 40
  • AA572183-6D59-46E0-B93C-65AE208AEEF5.jpeg
    AA572183-6D59-46E0-B93C-65AE208AEEF5.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 38
Yeah, bettas have something called a labyrinth organ, which means they can gulp air directly through their mouths. Lot's of bettas just like to hang at the top so that they can take a gulp whenever they want, which is why it is popular among many betta keepers to get some kind of decor they can rest on near the top of the water. Sounds like your betta is fine, which is awesome!
Very responsible of you to double check that everything is okay though!

I wouldn't worry too badly about the oxygen because they can breathe air (not joking!!) what are your water parameters? He may just be getting used to his new home.
Thatā€™s really good to know. Iā€™m yet to get hold of a water testing kit however pets at home does a free water test so i plan to take a sample in tomorrow. Do you have one you recommend?

Yeah, bettas have something called a labyrinth organ, which means they can gulp air directly through their mouths. Lot's of bettas just like to hang at the top so that they can take a gulp whenever they want, which is why it is popular among many betta keepers to get some kind of decor they can rest on near the top of the water. Sounds like your betta is fine, which is awesome!
Very responsible of you to double check that everything is okay though!
Noted, definitely going to grab something for him tomorrow to put near the top of the tank. Itā€™s just iā€™ve read a lot that them spending a lot of time at the surface is not a good sign? Is that not true?
Thanks, this is my first fish so I just want to make sure im doing everything right!

Thatā€™s really good to know. Iā€™m yet to get hold of a water testing kit however pets at home does a free water test so i plan to take a sample in tomorrow. Do you have one you recommend?
I haven't kept fish for a while, so someone can help you further here. but don't get test strips, very inaccurate.
Noted, definitely going to grab something for him tomorrow to put near the top of the tank. Itā€™s just iā€™ve read a lot that them spending a lot of time at the surface is not a good sign? Is that not true?
Thanks, this is my first fish so I just want to make sure im doing everything right!
I suggest a betta hammock mine used to love them

I tried a betta hammock for my first one, who hung out at the top a lot but never used it. I usually keep one in the tank just in case they want it though.
But you don't have to have it. It's more of an asthetic.

Lots of live floating plants,

If a fishes mouth faces upwards it is a surface feeder
If a fishes mouth is in the centre Tetras, Barbs that is where it feeds
If a fishes mouth faces downwards Cory's etc they feed on the base of the tank.

Can you clarify this please...

The pet shop told me I can add him in one day after setting up the tank

If I am reading this right, the store person told you totally incorrect information..

So please can you tell us exactly what you were told...reason being that an aquarium takes weeks to be correct for a fish and a Betta is possibly one of the most sensitive fish in regard to the water chemistry, they frequently fail to survive in an uncycled aquarium.

What you were told is therefore very important to know since it could cost the life of the fish.

He is gorgeous! I can see why you donā€™t want to lose him. What size is your tank? Get a test kit for ammonia that uses drops and test daily, do large enough water changes to keep ammonia at 0, and you should be fine. It will be labour intensive until itā€™s cycled unfortunately. It may be good to proactively add 1 tbsp of aquarium salt per 5 gallons, might ward off fin rot which can set in really fast on a betta in an uncycled tank. Also, dose Prime daily for the whole tank volume to detoxify any ammonia and nitrites.

Nitrite also must be kept at zero.

the best thing IMO would be a live plant though.
definitely, canā€™t add any yet unfortunately though due to how new the tank actually is.
Can you clarify this please...

If I am reading this right, the store person told you totally incorrect information..

So please can you tell us exactly what you were told...reason being that an aquarium takes weeks to be correct for a fish and a Betta is possibly one of the most sensitive fish in regard to the water chemistry, they frequently fail to survive in an uncycled aquarium.

What you were told is therefore very important to know since it could cost the life of the fish.
They told me to set up the tank the day before adding him in. Which i now know is incorrect so iā€™m doing a fish in cycle. I actually went back to the petshop today to purchase seachem prime but they closed early so i didnā€™t have the chance. will be going back tomorrow. what can i do to increase his chance of survival?

Bettas are not the easiest fish to keep alive, I'm surprised at how many people try to keep them, there are a lot of better options in the freshwater world.
thanks but iā€™ve bought him now so iā€™ve got to care for him

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back