Betta fish aren’t starter pets ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Helpplease

Reaction score
I’ve recently brought myself a tank and 2 female fighter fish thinking that they wouldn’t be to hand to look after but I’ve since found out I have no clue what I’m doing, before I purchased the fighter fish I brought 5 guppies which 2 of them had scoliosis ( google says ) they all died within 2 days ? I’m not sure wether that was my tank or the fish as everything seems to be fine with my tank. I’m worried for my bettas as I’ve tried to do some research but they’re was a lot of different information, any tips on how to keep them healthy and happy would be much appreciated. Both of the fish float on the top of the tank in the same place everytime and blow bubbles when they’re “sleeping”? What does this mean ?

I’ve attached photos of the 2 bettas and the tank please let me know if they’re anything I can change

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 101
Welcome! Some questions. How big is your tank? Is it cycled? (If you don't know about cycling yet, the answer is probably no. :)) What sort of filter do you have? Am I correct in assuming your plants are artificial? Do you know the hardness/pH of your water? What sort of water conditioner are you using?

Those are starting places. It's easy to get overwhelmed with information when you're new to this hobby, but let us know that stuff and we can help you out. Thomas

Welcome! Some questions. How big is your tank? Is it cycled? (If you don't know about cycling yet, the answer is probably no. :)) What sort of filter do you have? Am I correct in assuming your plants are artificial? Do you know the hardness/pH of your water? What sort of water conditioner are you using?

Those are starting places. It's easy to get overwhelmed with information when you're new to this hobby, but let us know that stuff and we can help you out. Thomas
It’s a 17 litre and no I’m not sure what cycling is I have a Ciano cf40 filter which seems to be making a very loud crackling noise, yes the plants are artificial I have brought some bacteria balls I’m not sure if that’s the same as conditioner but that’s what the people in the shop said was all I needed I will add a photo of them. Thank you for replying.

Attachments

• CB75A49A-9BBB-439C-8371-ADCAB857FCB0.png
    CB75A49A-9BBB-439C-8371-ADCAB857FCB0.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 7391E808-6618-40F2-AFDF-1C3B2E38FE66.png
    7391E808-6618-40F2-AFDF-1C3B2E38FE66.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 83
I’ve read abit about cycling a tank there’s a lot of websites saying I should’ve done it before I put the fish in and that I shouldn’t do it now because the fish could die ? Any ideas on what I should do ?

I’ve read abit about cycling a tank there’s a lot of websites saying I should’ve done it before I put the fish in and that I shouldn’t do it now because the fish could die ? Any ideas on what I should do ?
first of all, that is way too small for all your fish. second of all, gupies cannot live with betta fish as their ph is different, third, 2 female bettas need to have a big tank to become peaceful

Do you have a water test kit? If not please get one as soon as you can. You want to be testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on a regular basis since your tank isn't cycled. At the first trace of any ammonia or nitrite, you'll need to do a water change. Be sure new water is dechlorinated (use a water conditioner product) and temperature controlled to match your tank.

I would also recommend you get a beneficial bacteria product like Tetra Safe Start. This will expedite the cycling process in your tank. It won't happen instantly but it will help. I am not sure if the product you've pictured above is the same - it may be. I just haven't seen it in the states.

You also should consider rehoming one of the bettas. They do not usually do well with more than one betta in a tank.

I agree...2 male bettas will end in death of ne.

The aqua balls are a bacteria produced so you will not need to buy tetra safe start.

My betta really loves my live plants as he sits on the leaves. I purchased suction cups with zip ties from amazon and attached them to Anubis plants to hang on the side of the tank (which he absolutely loves). I also know that they enjoy hiding and since you do have 2 females in there I would recommend some hides in case they start to try and establish dominance and tussle a little bit. Also, have you noticed any fighting between them or are they peaceful? just asking because if they are having trouble getting along I would recommend getting a larger tank or separating the two so they don't end up killing each other. I had two females before and the one almost killed the other (I was not vigilant enough in the beginning stages of getting them settled in) so be careful. With adding a water conditioner to a tank I like to use the auqeon brand. Female bettas can live in a sorority but usually larger groups are better to distribute any nipping as that way they won't nip at each other until they kill the other.

And with the cycling ordeal, I would recommend leaving it alone. The whole basis of cycling is to build up beneficial bacteria so that when you add your new fish there isn't a huge ammonia spike. There really isn't much you can do other than be aware of your ammonia levels and to take the measures to lower it. I know aqueon has an ammonia reducer that you can use for now. And I agree that using the tetra safe start would be a good idea for putting some bacteria in. When you're cleaning your filter don't scrub it down on the inside where the filter pad sits - usually its a little sponge thing- as that's where most of the bacteria will accumulate. I hope this was helpful and good luck!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting! Good on you for trying to improve the well-being of your fish; that’s the best way to learn about the hobby!

Everyone so far has given great advice. I will add a bit more. When you do your water changes, make sure to add the water condition (as mentioned above), which will remove chlorine/chloramine toxic to fish. Ensure you don‘t clean any fish equipment with soap (also toxic) or chemicals that aren’t aquarium safe (with some exceptions - just check first to be sure). It is also a good idea to heat the water to the same tempera as the tank before adding so that your fish don’t get a shock. This can be done easily with another heater.

The bubbles they are blowing may be a bubble nest, although normally male bettas form these more. If your fish aren’t having trouble swimming (such that they can swim around the tank, not just the surface, without issue), then it is probably nothing out of the norm, and you just have a quirky pair :) Just be sure to keep an eye on how their fins and scales look regularly, as this can help detect illness or aggression early on. As others have said, it would be ideal to rehome one or separate them as, while female bettas can coexist, the tank isn’t large enough to house both.

Do you currently have a filter in your tank? If not, it could be a worthwhile to invest in a sponge filter. Don’t buy the cheap plastic filters that hang on the edge of the tank; these are generally poor quality. With gravel, it is a good habit to get into to vacuum during your weekly (or more frequent, while cycling with fish) water change. This can be done with a gravel vacuum, which you should be able to find online at reasonable prices. This isn’t the top of your concerns, though is needed in the long run (I have been looking at some recently, if you need help finding an appropriate one). Also, I am not sure if you did this, but when adding gravel (or any substrate) to a tank, it is good to rinse it before adding, since this removes fine sediments that can cloud the water.

I know it must seem daunting now, with so much to learn and do, but it does get easier - I know, since I was in your position years ago. If you need somewhere to start: get your test kit and monitor your water and keep an eye on fish behaviour and appearances. These, combined, should let you pick up issues quickly. Good luck, and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

Most reactions

Back