Betta fin rot?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I will start by saying that when I added this betta to the tank about a month ago, I did not know as much as I should have. The tank had only been running for a week before I added him, and we dealt with some ammonia spikes, but for a week now weā€™ve been at 0 ammonia with just the maintenance water changes and adding Stability by Seachem. Iā€™m new to this but have been researching and trying to learn as much as I can to make sure heā€™s healthy.

This is my opal half moon betta who is in 3.5 gallon with newly added plants. When I bought him I remember him being more white than he is now and less pink. when I first got him, I had plastic plants that I thought were safe, but I ended up switching to live plants about a week ago, so his fins may have been cut from those.Can someone tell me if it looks like he has fin rot? Or if heā€™s just translucent? I have Kanaplex delivering on Wednesday in case I need to start it. He doesnā€™t appear to be in any distress. He swims happily around his tank, doesnā€™t hang out at the bottom or anything. But it may just be early, in which case I want to take action now.

Attachments

• 92F3B4FA-E99C-47E8-9B4C-7339C0ECE1B9.png
    92F3B4FA-E99C-47E8-9B4C-7339C0ECE1B9.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 52
No, it doesn't appear he has fin rot. Fin rot is caused by poor water quality - so if you have any doubts, preform daily water changes (40%+) until things get better. But, I see no need to do nay now. Keep an eye on him. If he shows any symptoms on fin rot, reply back to this thread and let us know. (Pretty betta by the way. :wub: )

No, it doesn't appear he has fin rot. Fin rot is caused by poor water quality - so if you have any doubts, preform daily water changes (40%+) until things get better. But, I see no need to do nay now. Keep an eye on him. If he shows any symptoms on fin rot, reply back to this thread and let us know. (Pretty betta by the way. :wub: )

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply and you certainly made me feel better. However I looked again today and he looks more jagged so JUST IN CASE, Iā€™m attaching another picture if you think itā€™s nothing, then awesome.

Attachments

• 0EB9A371-5ED4-49DE-9841-26ADA22AAE88.png
    0EB9A371-5ED4-49DE-9841-26ADA22AAE88.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 61
Ok, so it doesnā€™t look like fin rot, it looks like a ripped fin. Itā€™s pretty much treated the same way, but it is not caused the same way.

Are there any sharp plants or decor in the tank?

You can fix his fins with clean water. 40% water changes per day should do the trick. I would say do them for a week or until things get better. (Make sure to preform the water changes with dechlorinated water)

Ok, so it doesnā€™t look like fin rot, it looks like a ripped fin. Itā€™s pretty much treated the same way, but it is not caused the same way.

Are there any sharp plants or decor in the tank?

You can fix his fins with clean water. 40% water changes per day should do the trick. I would say do them for a week or until things get better. (Make sure to preform the water changes with dechlorinated water)
Okay sweet. Yes in the beginning he had white plastic plants, and then I read theyā€™re bad for bettas so I replaced them with live amazon swords. Thank you again, Iā€™ll start those water changes.

Okay sweet. Yes in the beginning he had white plastic plants, and then I read theyā€™re bad for bettas so I replaced them with live amazon swords. Thank you again, Iā€™ll start those water changes.
Sounds good. Itā€™s most probable that he snagged his fins on those. Keep us posted! :good:

@PheonixKingZ is right, I only see rips too. The tips of his fins have a rosetail look to them which I think you're mistaking for fin rot. Have a look at rosetails online, I think you'll see a similarity :)
This is a relief. It makes sense since his body kind of matches the pink in his tail so his true colors must be showing. Hopefully thatā€™s a good sign that heā€™s healthy!

Just wanted to give a picture update. He seems to open his fins up a lot more, but do these tears look worse? There isnā€™t anything sharp in his tank

Attachments

• 6A1C3AD2-976F-4EC7-A275-6335C636D834.png
    6A1C3AD2-976F-4EC7-A275-6335C636D834.png
    471.5 KB · Views: 74

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back