Betta fin rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My Betta fish had fin rot and Popeye when I first got him. I got him almost a year ago. I treated with Betta fix when I brought him home and the Popeye and fin rot got much better. I did daily water changes and the swelling from the Popeye went away almost completely except for a small amount and the white fuzzies lining his fins from the fin rot went away too. After treatment was over I waited a few months but nothing got better and nothing got worse. His fins just look a bit torn up and his eyes still have a little bit of swelling. I treated him with Melafix to see if he would improve and it did nothing. I now know bettafix and Melafix are not good for bettas so I will not use it again. It's been a few more months now and his fins and eyes aren't getting worse or better. Is there something I could do to help heal his fins and eyes? He lives in a 5 gallon with a filter and heater with weekly 75% water changes. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 4 nitrate.

Attachments

• 20200601_143303.jpg
    20200601_143303.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Don't use Melafix or Bettafix with labirynth fish such as gouramies and bettas, good that you are aware :)
As for finrot, water changes are a good natural medicine for treating finrot.
There is another way of treating finrot, aquarium salt.
However is betta is on his own and has long fins and is bored, he will rip his own fins which, in other way has a possiblity of causing finrot, but from picture and pristine water parameters I suspect that he is biting his own tail so I would entertain him with mirror and rearraging his tank decor.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back