betta fin rot/fungus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

katienewbettakeeper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m freaking out, it started as a little fuzz on his fin yesterday and today his dorsal fin is practically falling apart!!! What should I do???? I have a few meds on hand, I have a 3gal tank I could probably set up as a quarantine? But Iā€™m not sure what to treat him with???

Water parameters. Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10ppm

Tank size: 10g
tank age: 3months
pH: 7.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH: 12
gH: 9
tank temp: 78

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Fins clamped, dorsal fin falling apart and covered in fungus

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 10% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: none

Tank inhabitants: 2 nerites, some ramshorns

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): the ramshorns are new and I didnā€™t quarantine them, fungus mightā€™ve came from them?

Exposure to chemicals: no

Attachments

• F60F8A82-E559-47F8-854A-FD87F7CFC3EC.jpeg
    F60F8A82-E559-47F8-854A-FD87F7CFC3EC.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 26
Try aquarium salt or rock salt - 2 heaped tablespoons per 5 gallons - leave it in the tank for two weeks. When you do a water change, add back the salt that has been removed (10% is a little less than half a tablespoon). After the two weeks do 10% water change a day with fresh water for a week to gradually reduce the salinity, then 20% a day for a week.
Going forward start to increase the amount of water you change each week to 50%.
No need to quarantine as he is the only fish.

It could be a columnaris type infection. I'm in a no antibiotics zone. I would net him out and over a thick paper towel, quickly paint the dorsal with betadine, an iodine based liquid that used to be used in surgical prep and is in pharmacies, usually if you ask.

Would it work? Maybe not. It has a couple of times. You work fast, keep the liquid out of the eyes and gills, and dump him back in. My daughter bought a very long finned Betta years ago, and it developed something similar straight from the store, on day one. The betadine did the job, though the fin never grew back. The fish lived.

I don't know how salt will help if it is bacterial, but we're guessing at what it is, so that may also work.

Try aquarium salt or rock salt - 2 heaped tablespoons per 5 gallons - leave it in the tank for two weeks. When you do a water change, add back the salt that has been removed (10% is a little less than half a tablespoon). After the two weeks do 10% water change a day with fresh water for a week to gradually reduce the salinity, then 20% a day for a week.
Going forward start to increase the amount of water you change each week to 50%.
No need to quarantine as he is the only fish.
Iā€™m trying the salt, unfortunately didnā€™t see your comment yesterday and ended up moving him to a quarantine 3gal.

unfortunately I think the temp dropped overnight and stressed him out even more. I have a heater in there set to 78, but heavy aeration plus no lid dropped it to like 72, I didnā€™t notice until morningā€¦ dumb. Turned it to 85 instead.

His chin and eyes lost LOTS of color, and heā€™s more sluggish, but heā€™s still eating. Iā€™m most worried about his inflamed gills, they have fungus in them.

I added 1 teaspoons salt per gallon, plus some antibacterial/antifungal meds (jungle fungus cure tab)

Should I dump out used tank water in the yard? Flushing antibiotics seems like a bad idea.

I feel horrible. This would make the third betta Iā€™ve lost since I started fishkeeping a year agoā€¦ one got dropsy, another had a tumor. Now this little guy gets fungusā€¦ I donā€™t even know if I should keep aquariums anymore

Should I dump out used tank water in the yard? Flushing antibiotics seems like a bad idea.
Yes
I added 1 teaspoons salt per gallon, plus some antibacterial/antifungal meds (jungle fungus cure tab)
You could be reducing the oxygen significantly with this combination. Add more aeration eg. an extra bubbler.
I feel horrible. This would make the third betta Iā€™ve lost since I started fishkeeping a year agoā€¦ one got dropsy, another had a tumor. Now this little guy gets fungusā€¦
They are not easy fish, especially when their fins are big. Probably overbred.
Don't give up. Try females or plakats for healthier fish. And up the water changes ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back