Betta Fin Problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MVines

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I could really use some help working out what is wrong with my Betta's tail fins. He's a veiltail, and is acting well, but his fins spread and then are stuck together at the end in what looks like a black thread.
I thought maybe fin rot, so I put him in a quarantine tank and am treating him with aquarium salt and bettafix, but it really isn't improving.
His water is very clean and the parameters are good as far as I can see. I don't know why he would be stressed. ph 7.5 KH 7-8 drops, GH 5-6 drops, Ammonia <0.25ppm, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5 ppm, Temp 76-80F, filter + 3.5 gallon tank.
I'm not sure it even is fin rot I am looking at because I don't see any sign of fin "loss". Just bunching.
Does anyone have any thoughts that could help?
The photos attached are of him in the quarantine tank (2 gallon). Unfortunately I can only get him from above in that container.

Attachments

• IMG_8286.JPG
    IMG_8286.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8292.JPG
    IMG_8292.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8302.JPG
    IMG_8302.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 90
Does that betta live alone? If so, you don't have to put him into quarantine because that will only stress him out more. If you can put him back in his tank you can take new pictures because it is really hard to see anything from above. Also, I noticed that in one of the photos there is an oak leaf in the water. May I ask why?

Hi. Yes, he does live alone. I took him into quarantine because I wasn't sure if the bettafix would disrupt the nitrogen cycle in the tank. But since posting I have put him back. I came to the same conclusion that he is happier in his own tank.
I saw some youtube videos by Betta breeders where some of them said they use oak leaves instead of Indian Almond leaf, as they also produce tannins and have similar properties. I was careful to boil it in water and dry it out for a while and do what I could to make sure I didn't introduce anything unwanted into the tank. Just trying less expensive options to get some tannins in there.
He seems to be pretty happy swimming around in his tank now, but he still has that black bundling at the end of his fins. I wish I could figure out what it was exactly.

btw I will have to wait until tomorrow to take any further pictures as it is too dark here now.

Bettafix, despite being targetted at bettas, is not a good medication to use. It is just dilute Melafix, and both Melafix and Pimafix are not advisable in tanks with bettas or gouramis as they can mess with the labyrinth organ.

I am not familiar with medications available in the US; an American member of the forum will be able to help you with that.

Bettafix, despite being targetted at bettas, is not a good medication to use. It is just dilute Melafix, and both Melafix and Pimafix are not advisable in tanks with bettas or gouramis as they can mess with the labyrinth organ.

I am not familiar with medications available in the US; an American member of the forum will be able to help you with that.
Ah, thanks for the tip. I have also heard Methylene Blue is useful for Bettas, but I might need to research that more before using.

He seems happier back in his tank, but you can still see the fins bundled and black at the end. (His main tail fin in particular). Here are some photos from this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_8303.JPG
    IMG_8303.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8305.JPG
    IMG_8305.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8308.JPG
    IMG_8308.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 114
Does that betta live alone? If so, you don't have to put him into quarantine because that will only stress him out more. If you can put him back in his tank you can take new pictures because it is really hard to see anything from above. Also, I noticed that in one of the photos there is an oak leaf in the water. May I ask why?
Oak leaves or any leaves that do not contain milky sap are safe to use in betta tanks. Their tannins serve the same purpose as IAL. Fall is a great time to collect dried leaves and save them for such purposes. Just be sure they are chemical free. Alder cones are another great one to use.

Oak leaves or any leaves that do not contain milky sap are safe to use in betta tanks. Their tannins serve the same purpose as IAL. Fall is a great time to collect dried leaves and save them for such purposes. Just be sure they are chemical free. Alder cones are another great one to use.
Okay, great to know. Thanks

An update - He looks so happy now back in his tank. He's really come back to life and then some, so I think I must have done something right in this whole process (although I'm not sure which specific thing!). His fins still have those black ends, but maybe I'll just give it more time and see how it goes, and keep the aquarium salt going for a little while. At least until he seems better. *fingers crossed*

Another update - He is doing a LOT better now. I did daily water changes and included in his water aquarium salt and oak leaf tannins. It looks to have done the trick. I think it was fin rot, just a sightly strange presentation of it.

Attachments

• IMG_8401.JPG
    IMG_8401.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8402.JPG
    IMG_8402.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 57
He looks so much better! I'm glad he's doing okay!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back