Betta Fin Loss

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MaryG

Reaction score
I have had my betta for almost 2 months. He is in a 5gallon tank filtered tank. About a week ago i noticed his fins were missing. Im not sure if its fin rot or just fin loss. Can anyone help please
8JfhV38AMUUPxN4a7

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_140747.jpg
    IMG_20190918_140747.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 95
I am not for sure positive but I think his fins, as shown by your picture, are completely normal. That is a trait of that particular variety of Betta. To me the picture shows a very nice fish.
Edit: I looked at the picture a little closer. Maybe his tail is a bit ragged. Are there any other fish with him ?

That is betta boredom. He has nipped his tail short. They do this for 2 reasons:
1). The tail is heavy and makes it hard to swim. Remedy: Put lots of tall plants in for him to rest in. Maybe a floating betta log too.
2). He’s just plain bored. Remedy: Try a ping pong ball that he can play with. A colorful pic on the side of the tank or comics for him to see color, get a mirror and let him flare at it for about 15 minutes a week. Too much will stress him out. Talk to him more.

Do daily 75% water changes for next 2 weeks to help the fins heal. You can also add aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon for each 5 gallons of water but dissolve it before adding to tank in a little tank water. After initial dose, add 1/2 tablespoon back in for each 5 gallons after each water change. I would recommend putting some Indian Almond leaves in too. They have an anti-bacterial content and also de-stress the betta. Keep us posted and best of luck!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The tail is definitely damaged and appears to be bitten by something (as suggested by Deanasue).

------------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the tank when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH of the tank water?
What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Have you added anything new (fish, plants, wood, etc) to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
Are there any other fishes in the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back