Betta Fin Has Split

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got a betta in my 5gal tank. It has live plants and a coconut shell. No other fish that may harm him.

I noticed his fin had a slit somewhere in the middle a few days ago and today I realised his fin has split into 2! :crazy: Could it be the coconut shell that tore his fin? He's still swimming and doing his normal fish stuff. He even made a bubble nest yesterday (no females around).

Is it something to worry about? And is there anything I need to do about it to aid his healing process? I'm a newbie betta owner so I'm really worried!

Just do frequent water changes so that the water is extra clean and he will heal in no time. If you start to see further damage or and white or fuzziness then start treating the tank with Melafix. Don't worry too much fish fins can heal realy quckly. Just make sure there's nothing in your tank that could be causing damage like plastic plants or jagged ornaments. :)

Be carefull adding melafix to a betta tank as the strength of the tea tree oil can damage the labyrinth organ.

That exact thing happened to me too! It started with a slit and my bettas fin just split in half, fins are like fingernails they don't hurt, with daily water changes it will slowly heal, just like mine did, what kind of tail does he have, mine is a blue turquoise veiltail.

Just do frequent water changes so that the water is extra clean and he will heal in no time. If you start to see further damage or and white or fuzziness then start treating the tank with Melafix. Don't worry too much fish fins can heal realy quckly. Just make sure there's nothing in your tank that could be causing damage like plastic plants or jagged ornaments. :)

I'm doing water changes twice a weeks now. Will continue to observe him! I'm really paranoid about his fin now.. :X Yup, hopefully the coconut shell isn't the culprit. He likes squeezing behind the filter intake though.

That exact thing happened to me too! It started with a slit and my bettas fin just split in half, fins are like fingernails they don't hurt, with daily water changes it will slowly heal, just like mine did, what kind of tail does he have, mine is a blue turquoise veiltail.

Eek! It's so horrible to see torn fins. At least they don't hurt :/ Is it possible for a fin that has split all the way to the base to heal? He's a half moon.

Oh no! I just spotted another hole in his fin! I have no idea how and why they're appearing! :crazy: I'm supposing coconut shells can be that sharp?

Oh no! I just spotted another hole in his fin! I have no idea how and why they're appearing! :crazy: I'm supposing coconut shells can be that sharp?
Mm, maybe, as soon as I saw that my bettas fin split in half I took out the plant that must have made that happen and he had no more problems, he still makes bubblenests, and the new plant is better because it's more like a bunch of lines, it's more like his habitat in Thailand where he came from in the rice fields, I think? You should really consider taking out the coconut shells and replacing them with spiny long thin plants like mine, but don't worry the plants can't cut his fins as long as all the ends reach out of the water, and the plant is also better because the plant reaching out of the water will surely make him want to build a bubblenest where the plant reaches out, even if he hasn't seen a female fish in his life! You can do that or make the coconut thingies less sharper with sandpaper or a grinder or something, I can't really say anything about them too much because I don't know what they look like without a picture. :) . P.S. You were wondering if it was possible for a bettas fin to split from the base to the end, and it is possible, that's what happened to my betta fish, it ripped from exactly where the fin starts, all the way to the end.

maybe your fish is just aggressive and blowing out fins? i wouldnt be worried, they heal very fast.

I'll be removing the coconut shell. Hopefully the holes stop appearing and start to heal :( Unless it's fin rot... :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back