Betta Emergency!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BettaGirl_666

Reaction score
I was looking for my betta when I found his head stuck in the little hole at the end of the flower pot I gave him. We got him out by breaking the pot while making sure that he wouldn't get cut by the shards. He's just laying at the bottom of the tank, breathing. Some scales on his back got ripped off, and his eyes haven't moved since we got him out. He was extremely pale when he got out, but his color is slowly returning. Is there anything I can do to help him?

His ventral fins are also damaged. I think they were ripped a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. The water changes will help reduce disease organisms in the water and help him heal.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Monitor the fish for white fluffy stuff (fungus) or red inflamed areas (bacteria). If it gets anything like that, post pictures and we can discuss medications.

You can add some rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1-2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. The salt will help reduce disease organisms too and minimise the chance of infection.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

I have other fish in the tank that he is in. Do I need to quarantine him or no?

I don't have a picture, and the fish were put to sleep for the day.

I have other fish in the tank that he is in. Do I need to quarantine him or no?
no, just monitor him.

If the other fish start to pick at him, then move him out, but chances are he is just really stressed out and should get better over the next couple of days. Just monitor him for infections in the areas that were damaged.

I think he will improve with time. Just do the large water changes . If he is eating, he will most likely get better with time

Ok. Thank you all so, so much. I'll update his condition soon.

Yes, please keep us posted and the very best of wishes.

Bettas for some reason think they can squeeze through the smallest of spaces. Mine swims behind the filter and the heater..luckily he doesnt get stuck there.

I did lose a tetra once who thought he could squeeze behind the sponge filter and the tank wall. The sponge was against the wall. I didn't notice him until he had died. He won’t do that again!

Last edited:
My betta just stuck his head in the outflow pipe of the sponge filter. I kept thinking that the water was flowing out so he can come out. He finally did. Not sure what he was doing. I turned the pipe to the back of the glass. Crazy fish!

Galaxy is doing so much better! He's swimming around and eating a lot. His scales have almost grown back already, and his find aren't causing any problems. I feel like his wound will be healed by next week!

I just got a betta and a guppy from my friend, and I'm setting up a 10 gallon for them. I think that they are both constipated, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 20190907_180319.jpg
    20190907_180319.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190907_180328.jpg
    20190907_180328.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 135

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back