Betta Emergency

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SilverBetta12

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a betta fish named Jeremy.  He accidentally snagged his back fin on a broken glass stone.  I didn't realized the stone was broken before and I removed it from the tank.  His back fin was ripped so I got some Melafix at the pet store.  I gave it to him for about a week and his fin is doing much better.  But then I read online that Melafix is dangerous for bettas.  I stopped giving it to him and I am not sure what to do now. Is melafix harmfull? He seamed to doing well. I don't know what to do.

Melafix causes issues with the labrynth organ found in all anabantoids. It is also mostly tea tree oil, if I'm not mistaken. For an injury like this, water changes would have been a better option. I would recommend doing a water change maybe every other day or every three days depending on your tank stats. Frequent water changes and clean, warm water are usually the best medicines.

Next you have to worry about the potential for infection.

Did you cycle your filter?
What size tank is this?
Please list ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temp readings.
Are there any other tank mates?

Providing this information will allow us to gauge risk of infection.

What is the temperature of the water as well?

And 
welcomeani.gif
to TFF!

The water is at 70 degrees I don't have a filter, but I do change the water frequently.  He is in a 3 gallon tank. (I couldn't afford a bigger one)  And there are no tank mates.

How much water do you change at a time and how often? Do you have a heater? The water is too cold, you want it at 78-82. Have a read of THIS.
Not trying to attack you at all just keeping him warm and giving him clean water will help his fins a lot :)

Do you have a test kit? If so, what kind? And can you give the readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

SilverBetta12 said:
The water is at 70 degrees I don't have a filter, but I do change the water frequently.  He is in a 3 gallon tank. (I couldn't afford a bigger one)  And there are no tank mates.
If you have a Petsmart or Big Al's near you they sell some small "betta heaters"  :)

I change half of the water once a week.  I am all out of testing strips. The closest pet store to me is Petz Place it's a half hour away.  I am going to get a heater.   Thanks for the advice. He is doing much better.

Edit: I have had him for a little over a year.  This is the first time anything bad has ever happened to him.

In a three gallon tank, I would be doing 2 50% water changes a week. If your filter is cycled, you'll still get nitrate build up quickly.

Also, test strips are the least reliable of testing methods. You'll need to invest in a liquid kit for more accurate (though still fallible) results.

Even though Melafix is not really on the "safe for bettas" list of medications, if he is acting fine at the moment, I wouldn't really worry about the fact that you used it this one time.  I do recommend you not use it again for your fish's safety long term.  Your boy will heal his fins quite quickly once you get in the habit of making sure you have very clean warm water.  The low temperature is going to the biggest obstacle to your betta's healing at the moment.  Get him warm and you will notice a big difference in him.

I do agree with more frequent water changes on a 3 gallon tank even if you are running a cycled filter.  At the least twice weekly 50% water changes would be good. 

Hi There,

Also, just wanted to add that you can add some aquarium salt as well and that will help with the healing of his fins and keep him healthy.  1.5 tsp for a 3 gallon.   If you add that, just be sure to disolve the salt first before you add it to the aquarium.

Good Luck!

B

Mammabe said:
Hi There,

Also, just wanted to add that you can add some aquarium salt as well and that will help with the healing of his fins and keep him healthy.  1.5 tsp for a 3 gallon.   If you add that, just be sure to disolve the salt first before you add it to the aquarium.

Good Luck!

B

On a normal basis it is not really necessary to add salt to a FW tank.  In the long run it can actually cause issues with their kidneys.  The only thing salt does is irritate the skin making the fish produce more slime coat.  
SilverBetta12 said:
Thank you so much.   He is doing much better.

So glad to hear he is doing better/  :)

Wildbetta said:

Hi There,

Good Luck!

B

On a normal basis it is not really necessary to add salt to a FW tank.  In the long run it can actually cause issues with their kidneys.  The only thing salt does is irritate the skin making the fish produce more slime coat.  

SilverBetta12 said:
Thank you so much.   He is doing much better.

So glad to hear he is doing better/  
smile.png

Hey Wildbetta, I agree, I wouldn't use it regularly but it does work as a treatment.  

Glad he is going better!  that's awesome.

I have been informed that getting some almond leaves (or anything that releases tannis) better for bettas than salt so you can find those leaves for fairly cheep on ebay. I hope he continues to get better :)

I agree with the cattapa leaves. They are wonderful for not just bettas but all black water fishes. They make fantastic anchors for nests too :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back