Betta containers.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sja

Reaction score
hey all,
i was thining of getting a male betta. I was wondering a vase would be a good home(set up specificly for him and treated like a tank) would be alright. I think it would have to hold 1gallon at least. Also which is prefered, round or square. if a vase is no good i think i might just get a small rectangle tank.
any info would be appreciated!!!!

i have found that one thats round makes it harder to net your betta... a flat pane og tank gives you a place to corner him and net.

but IMO anything that holds water(1gallon and up), is not toxic to thefish and is preferably clear, so you can see him, works just fine..... some people may need a heater if the temps drop to much or fluctuate to quickly...

EDIT: petsmart has 2 gallon triangle tanks for around $20...... that wold be the tank i wold go with on a budget... also they have 1g's for 10 and 10gs for $25 (if your on the east coast its like $11 but oregon has high tank prices for some odd reson)

HTH

EDIT AGAIN: i just saw you in AUS so NM on the prices and such...

yer little glass tanks are quite expensive were i live. i think i'll get a small rectangle tank. probably about 12inches x 6 or something like that.With an air pump, i would prob get a heater but my lfs doesnt have them that small.

no need for an air pump... bettas breath from the surface...
infact an air pump can cause too much current in a small bowl...

also, a heater for a 10 gallon tank (25watt i think) can be dialed in to your tank.. ive done this in a 1g a few times while i was out of town.....

They also make these very little heaters that you can't adjust, but they will heat anything from 2.5 to 5 gallons to a cozy 72-78ish. They've worked great in the 5 gals a I have for my bettas.

As for shape, anything works, really. I have corner tanks, hexagon tanks, and rectangular tanks and have not had trouble with any. However, remember that round bowls usually narrow quite a lot at the top, which decreases the surface area for breathing and building bubble nests. It also would make netting harder, though scooping bettas into a clean container if possible is less stressful than netting anyways (though I guess in a 1 gal. tank that'd be hard). Round bowls also don't usually have some kind of hood/lid, which you'll want with bettas as they like to jump out of the water (as I'm sure some people's stories of dried up bettas on their floor have shown).

Have you checked stores for acrylic tanks? I'm not sure if they'd be cheaper than glass, but they usually come with the needed accesories, unlike most glass tanks. However, a 10 gallon glass tank with no accesories out here costs about 8 bucks; a 5 gallon with hood/light/filter is $35-50, so you'd almost be better off buying the hood separate?

::shrugs:: wow, I just realized what a useless post I just made.

in vietnam they use round jars when training their fighters as the shape of the container exercises the fishes muscles along the sides of his body and makes him tougher... ;)

I think bettas can be viewed better in a retangular tank. A round tank can distort many views. Go to LFS and buy something like this. It can go from .5 gallon to 2.5 gallon.

4258379649C.jpg

i dont intend to be rude, but i dont really like those small plastic tanks, at least the ones they have at my LPS. I think i will get a small rectangle tank. It would hold about 2-2 1/2gallon max, it would be set up with live plants, and maybe a small filter, (not a power filter) or is this not necessary?The bad part is the glass tank will cost about $28!!!!! -_-

those I posted are not the best I admit, but I got mine for 6 bucks USD... which is cheap compared to other glass tanks. They are also acrylic, which means shatter-proof. They come with optional corner filters. Also they are covered, so you dont have to buy a seperate hood. :thumbs:

ok im not supporting any fighting of any kind here.

Square Jars/Containers provide a good view of your fish. Use with long fins and show fish.

Round Jars/Containers are to be used when conditioning a fighter. the round will provide him a workout, as to make his hitting harder when he bends around to get a good shot. For use with plakat types or breeder fish as the embrace will be tighter.

EDIT: sorry didnt read all the way through this post, i duplicated BKKs on accident.

I think as far as round or square goes...it's personal preference.

You can't get a good look at them in a round tank..it distorts their shape. So if you wanted to take pictures you can forget it. They don't make filters for round bowls, or heaters, or lids, or hoods, or lights, or backdrops.

Square or rectangle are better to me, because they have so many more benefitial aspects.

You can get a good, clear view of them.

Pictures turn out great.

You can attach a nice backdrop

Easier to find lids/hoods.

Easier to attach filters and heater.

Easier to catch your guy, regardless of using a cup or a net.

Easier to let him have exercise, by showing him a mirror or another betta.

Easier to control cleaning..because the gravel will be the same depth all the way around.

:thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back