Betta Compatibility

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DRay

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I saw the most beautiful Betta yesterday, and it got me thinking if there's any possibility they'd happen to be compatible w/ my current fishes. Or at least some combination of what I currently have. What have people experienced w/ Betta compatibility with:

Angelfish
Kribensis
German Blue Ram
Redtail Shark
Dwarf Gourami
Dojo Loach
Yoyo Loach
Cory Cats
Syn Petricola
Guppies
Neon Tetras

Tanks are well planted, with plenty of grass and cave hiding spots.

Multiple tanks?  Can you elaborate on how each tank is stocked as that might help out with whether a betta might be ok in one of them. 

From your list of fish it is highly unlikely that a betta will cohabitate nicely with most of them or even possibly any of them depending on if the betta decides to be super aggressive.

My betta lives with 2 snails, 2 Plecs, and about 5 glass shrimp fine, When I added a few Platys to the tank he seemed to be fine for a while, Then he went into attack mode he killed 1 injured another so bad I had to put it down and was stalking a third, I think the 4th Platy was glad to see the green net when I took it out of the tank.

See what damanax said here.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/437521-say-hi-to-yobbo/?p=3705037

I guess it depends on the Betta.

50 gallon community is:

Shoal of Neons +1 Bloodfin
1 RTS
2 Dwarf Gourami
2 Kribensis
2 Dojo Loach
2 Golden Dojo Loach
2 Yoyo Loach
2 Syn Petricola
5 Cory Cats
3 Male Guppies

40 gallon (background makes it more of a 30 though)

4 Angelfish
1 German Blue Ram
5 Cory Cats
5 Glass Catfish

I tried researching before just asking the question, but there are so many conflicting reports on what they seem to do well with. I do have two empty tanks. I'm gonna be moving in a month though, and moving my 3 tanks will be enough labor.

Depending on the Betta, your guppies maybe at risk, equally though the Betta would be at risk from being nipped most likely from your Ram and your Kribs, and maybe your Angels. Bettas are generally not strong swimmers, therefore despite belief that the Betta will be aggressive it is often they are equally the ones at risk.

What type of fin age does your potential Betta have?

What filtration do you have in respect to the current?

Time for a new set-up if you really want the Betta I understand re: moving, so realistically is it the best time to get him? Head over heart, I find myself in the same dilemma at present. However, if he is currently being kept in a cup you could be doing him a favour. Not ideal but you could house him in a breeder net within your aquarium until you move and then set him up his own aquarium. With this he would be in a better place than a cup, get fresh water constantly going through the breeder net, then in a few weeks get his own aquarium, if you are prepared to then set up a third tank for him? I guess where I am coming from is the Betta is better off in the long run with an experienced fish keeper, willing to ask questions, than potentially going home and put in a vase!

I would say if you could put the betta in his own tank. Keeping him with other fish just seems like a lot of trouble but if you're willing to go through the trouble then more power to you! Hope it works out for you.

I agree with others.  Betta are not really "community" fish and should be on their own.  Individual Betta can sometimes behave differently from the norm, but it is always safer to assume the normal.  And as someone else mentioned, there is also always the possibility of the other fish targeting the Betta.

Byron.

I would not recommend trying to add a betta to either of those two setups.  In both tanks there are fish that are high on the "incompatible with bettas" list.  While bettas can be aggressive, in community situations it is the other way around.  With the betta being bullied, nipped, or generally stressed to death. 

My recommendation is that after you move, set up a tank just for a betta. 

Most reactions

Back