betta color change- good bad or normal?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had a betta since the beginning of 2021, and just this past week I noticed he changed color a bit. underside: greenish blue --> whitish greenish blue sides: vibrant blue --> greyish blue head: black --> grey. there is also a slightly darker stripe running down his side that I haven't noticed before. I know bettas sometimes change color, but I feel like this is a bad sign, since all his colors are becoming more muted. I do a 33% water change every one to three weeks, he is in a cycled planted 5 gallon. This could be related, but I feed him either 2 omega pellets or one dried bloodworm once per day with sunday fasting, and I feel like that might not be enough, but he gets bloated otherwise. I switched him from 3 pellets about a month ago I think. should I be concerned? the full tank image is before and close up is after

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 87
I can’t give you any definite information other than I know Betta’s do change colour as they age. He’s looking quite sad in the most recent photo @Essjay, @Colin_T any ideas..?

Hey :)
IF he carries the marble gene it's normal he changes colors and patterns.
What are Omega pellets made with ? 2 pellets aren't enough.

Ok I found composition. I'd say 7 to 8 pellets a day : 4 morning and 3 or 4 evening.
Keep in mind that very often pellets are constipating.

Last edited:
That’s (I think) an embarrassed face. I hadn’t realised that it was only one type of Betta that ‘grew’ into their colour…
Every single genetically selected Betta (Siamese fighting fish) carrying marble gene gonna change colors and patterns between 5-6 months and 10-12 months old.

I agree with Avel that you can increase the amount that you are feeding. He is looking pretty skinny. I would recommend slowly increasing since he is not used to a lot of food at once. If this was my fish, I would start with one or two pellets per meal, 3 to 4 meals a day, with at least 2-3 hours between meals, and slowly increase it. Once he is a healthy weight, you can go back down to two meals a day. You might also try adding frozen bloodworms while you do this. They are high in fat and will help. When I first got my betta I always thought she was bloating when I fed her so I fed too little as well. It turned out I was actually feeding too little, so her stomach was showing more after feedings. The advise I got from experienced betta keepers was that overfeeding is feed until their stomach is gently rounded; as long as it goes down between feedings you are not feeding too much. A betta of healthy weight should look like a torpedo from above: no indentation between the head/stomach and tail.

There is a form in the fish emergency forum. If you could fill that out, that would help us know if there is something else going on!

I would start with one or two pellets per meal, 3 to 4 meals a day, with at least 2-3 hours between meals, and slowly increase it. Once he is a healthy weight, you can go back down to two meals a day.
Yes !
Also important : vary as often as possible his food : frozen worms (blood, white), vinegar eels, daphnias, artemias, mosquito larvas, small pieces of salmon/trout/mussel, also trout eggs... Betta is a predator, carnivorous/innectivorous !

He looks a little stressed in the after picture. Have you tested your water parameters? I would increase your water changes to at least once a week and make sure you're testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates especially.

I've had a betta since the beginning of 2021, and just this past week I noticed he changed color a bit. underside: greenish blue --> whitish greenish blue sides: vibrant blue --> greyish blue head: black --> grey. there is also a slightly darker stripe running down his side that I haven't noticed before. I know bettas sometimes change color, but I feel like this is a bad sign, since all his colors are becoming more muted. I do a 33% water change every one to three weeks, he is in a cycled planted 5 gallon. This could be related, but I feed him either 2 omega pellets or one dried bloodworm once per day with sunday fasting, and I feel like that might not be enough, but he gets bloated otherwise. I switched him from 3 pellets about a month ago I think. should I be concerned? the full tank image is before and close up is after
update: I've been feeding him 4 pellets daily (will eventually work up to more food) for maybe 5 days now and I can already see new fin growth and the bases of his scales are a bright blue again! I'm so glad this forum exists, thank you all :)

update: I've been feeding him 4 pellets daily (will eventually work up to more food) for maybe 5 days now and I can already see new fin growth and the bases of his scales are a bright blue again! I'm so glad this forum exists, thank you all :)
and it turns out what I thought was bloating was just a normal full belly

You can increase pellets up to 8 daily. Thinks to vary his food with frozen bloodworms, rinsed artemia, daphnia....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back