Betta Clear Fins?!?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
He needs more room! Please get him a larger tank, the poor thing is living in a dangerously small and sad environment. Plants, a filter, substrate, and a bigger tank. Please!
Yeh I really wanna do that but the person who gave them to us said that we need to wait until they grow bigger because plants will hurt the fins or something like that

Tap water or whatever you are using at the moment for water changes.

It is a common myth that bettas need small tanks because they "live in puddles in the wild". They don't live in puddles, they live in shallow slow moving water like rice paddies. 2.5 gallons is the absolute minimum, with 5 or even 10 gallons being better. They also need a filter and except for in the tropics, a heater. The filter should create a gently flow so a sponge filter powered by an air pump is ideal for a betta. Bettas need a temperature around 26 deg C/80 deg F so if your home gets cooler than this at night, you do need a heater.
Without a filter, water changes of 50% a day need to be done. When you first get a filter, you also need to do daily water changes. After about a month the filter bacteria will have grown so then you can do weekly 50% water changes.

Only plastic plants will hurt a betta's fins - and a betta of all ages. This is because plastic plants have sharp edges. Silk plants or even better, live plants are suitable for bettas of all ages.

FYI, your betta is about fully grown. The only change in the size you'll probably see is if his fins get longer. Additionally, keeping the betta in that container is very bad for his health long term and he will probably never be healthy in there. I recommend putting him in something bigger with live plants or decorations and see how he does. Imagine having to live in a room the size of an elevator with nothing in it...how happy and healthy would you be? This isn't any criticism towards you, I just recommend getting your pal a bigger tank! Good luck! Here is some very useful links about this topic:

FYI, your betta is about fully grown. The only change in the size you'll probably see is if his fins get longer. Additionally, keeping the betta in that container is very bad for his health long term and he will probably never be healthy in there. I recommend putting him in something bigger with live plants or decorations and see how he does. Imagine having to live in a room the size of an elevator with nothing in it...how happy and healthy would you be? This isn't any criticism towards you, I just recommend getting your pal a bigger tank! Good luck! Here is some very useful links about this topic:

Thanks! Am trying to get a good tank. Do fish like square tanks or sphere tanks?

Just about all fish do better in rectangular tanks. Spherical tanks have a small surface area for the volume of the tank, and can distort the appearance of the fish making them look unnatural (well, even more unnatural than the bettas we buy). Cubic tanks have limited swimming room for the volume. Rectangular tanks have the most swimming room and volume for volume are not as tall as cubic tanks - bettas usually prefer shallower tanks as they don't have to swim up as far to gulp air.

Thanks! Am trying to get a good tank. Do fish like square tanks or sphere tanks
Just about all fish do better in rectangular tanks. Spherical tanks have a small surface area for the volume of the tank, and can distort the appearance of the fish making them look unnatural (well, even more unnatural than the bettas we buy). Cubic tanks have limited swimming room for the volume. Rectangular tanks have the most swimming room and volume for volume are not as tall as cubic tanks - bettas usually prefer shallower tanks as they don't have to swim up as far to gulp air.
oh oak thanks

This is the best I can manage
6DB0854F-B596-432C-8558-F0FA46B993D5.jpeg

What is the volume of that tank when it's filled up? bettas need an absolute minimum of 2.5 gallons/10 litres with 5 gallons/20 litres being a lot better. That tank looks smaller than 2.5 gallons in the photo - and it needs filling to almost the top.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back