Betta clamped fins - don't know what else to do

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

beatlesfan317

Reaction score
I'm not a new fishkeeper, but by no means an expert either. My betta, had her for 6 months, probably a year old, has had a mild fin rot for 2 months that I haven't been able to fully heal. Tried upping water changes, salt, antiobiotics, never fully healed. Now she has clamped fins (see pic). The 5 gallon tank is fully cycled, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, stable 7.8 PH all using API master kit. I have been changing 1/4 to 1/3 of water every 3 days. I was worried the tank was maybe too cold but I put a 2nd thermometer, this one glass, in the tank, and it is 80 degrees.

When I search the internet or I have posted to forums before I'm told fin rot and clamped fins are usually a water quality issue. I just can't see any water quality issue. I've also read ick or velvet are typical problems. I see no white spots on her and no signs of velvet, rust or color changes, and she hasn't been scratching on anything in the tank. She eats fine (once a day), she's active and begs for food the rest of the day and evening and only rests when I turn the light out for bed.

Any advice?

Attachments

• betta 1-12-21.jpg
    betta 1-12-21.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 79
do a water change and I hope you have a heater I would do a 25% water change and whatever it doesn’t eat take it out of the tank

I do have a heater. I've used 2 different thermometers to check the temp - it's 80 degrees. I do clean out, by vacuuming or using a turkey bastor, any uneaten food or waste.

If you can, quarantine her so that whatever she has (should it be infectious) does not harm your other fish. What other fish do you have?

Thanks. She is the only fish in the tank. Also, about 2 months ago I removed all plastic plants in case she was cutting herself on them. Now I only have smooth aquarium safe rocks as hiding spaces.

I would do daily water changes and gravel clean as well. Continue to monitor her situation. I'll tag @Colin_T as he is quite knowledgeable.

Thanks. She is the only fish in the tank. Also, about 2 months ago I removed all plastic plants in case she was cutting herself on them. Now I only have smooth aquarium safe rocks as hiding spaces.
Do you have any plants at all? She might be stressed from lack of plants? Just trying to throw out any ideas that might help. If you don't want live plants, you could get some silk ones instead of plastic.

Keep us posted!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back