Betta Chronic Constipation - PLEASE help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sef

Reaction score
Our Betta, Horatio, developed a small swollen spot on his side a couple of weeks or so ago. At times it seemed better, at times more swollen. After trying to figure out what it was, the answer became clear this past Monday when I came home and found a string of poo hanging off him -- a common sign of constipation -- and he was lethargic. I immediately gave him a couple of bits of cooked pea, and withheld food for 24 hours to let it work things loose.

At the end of the second day (Tuesdsay night), the swelling looked better, so I gave him a couple of BioGold pellets (which is what we have been feeding him all along...3 in the morning, 1-2 midday, 2-3 in the evening). Shortly after feeding him the pellets, though, I noticed that his side starting to swell up a little more, and he was starting to look sluggish again. I decided to give him an additional bit of pea and "fast" him for another day or so -- again to see if that would work everything loose.

Later that same evening, Horatio grew increasingly lethargic, and was lying at the bottom of the tank. I could tell he was in distress, and had no idea what to do. I had read elsewhere that some people use Epsom salt to reduce swelling in Bettas, so I added about 1/2 teaspoon and said a prayer. He looked awful and I honestly didn't think he'd make it through the night.

Next day (Wednesday), Horatio seemed to be pulling out of it. Not nearly as sluggish, a little more active, but having to rest periodically. I decided to not feed him for another day or so, since the swelling had still not gone down and I didn't want to risk what happened the previous day.

Today Horatio was back to himself as far as activity, but the swelling had still not improved much if at all. I do not believe he has poo'd all week, but it's hard to tell. I decided to go one more round of pea (thawed, this time; not cooked) in a final desperate attempt to work everything loose. He is behaving normally, though still resting once in a while on the bottom. I ordered some freeze-dried Daphnia, which I have heard is good for cleaning out the digestive track.

I'm at a loss on what to do next. I can't keep feeding pea and fasting him; it doesn't seem to be producing any results, and I'm afraid of stressing him out or giving him diarrhea. In addition, somebody on another board mentioned that Epsom salt is dangerous, so I feel totally helpless at this point.

Can someone please give me some guidance on this? I'm at the end of my rope.

sef :(

Death from constipation alone is seldom a problem. However with the symptoms that you give it may be an internal bacterial problem. In the meantime constipation is often caused by unsuitable food. you are quite right in that daphania is a high fibre food as will help regulate your fish. Epsom salts in a solution of 1 level teaspoon per 4 gallons of water is safe and will work as a laxative. This may need to be done in a hospital tank as opposed to your whole aquarium. I know you have fed your betta the same food all along without problems, but maybe try changing it's diet a little with the occassional live/frozen food.

Hello, sorry to hear about your betta, i also had a problem with mine being constipated. I have 2 boys. I was feeding them strickly pellets, and that is when i started to notice that they were not "going" properly. I still feed them the pellets, but only in the morning i will feed them 3-4 pellets each. In the afternoon and evening i feed them bloodworms. If i notice they still are acting like they are starving before bed i will give them 1-2 pellets just to make them happy. Since i cut down on their pellets, i noticed that they are "going" better. I would also recomend adding some live foods to him to see what he thinks of them. Mine seem much happier now that they are not eating just the pellets. Hope this helps. Sandy

Thanks to you both.

I think Horatio looks a little better tonight. He still has some swelling, but that never seems to go completely away. I didn't feed him yesterday or today, and plan to try to give him a little freeze-dried Daphnia in the morning, and maybe 1 BioGold pellet -- soaked in water first. Then I guess I can only wait and see how he does.

I, too, wondered about an internal infection. One thing that Horatio started doing not too long ago, was "attacking" his live plants. These were bulbs that I bought at MalWart, and they sprouted and grew into full-size aquarium plants. Anyway, he will bite the leaves and roots, and I've had to fish out numerous pieces of plant from his water. I removed the larger plant today, just to see if this might be part of the problem. I don't see how the plant could have parasites, but the roots looked a little brown on the tips. If he's biting these, could he be getting sick from them?

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement. This has been a constant source of worry, especially when we had that awful scare the other night. :sad:

Hi sef,

Does the water test OK?

Be careful how much you feed...

:) b

Does he live alone? Can u find any poops on the substrate? Can u describe more on how his poops look like, eg the colour, like dark n light segmented? or white transparent-ish?

Perhpas the swelling is internal bacteria or parasite infection. Certain parasites (eg protozoans) may b commonly present in aquariums but only in harmless numbers. Only weakened fish will catch diseases from it, like from stress, or poor water quality or old age. Same thing for bacteria too.

Most reactions

Back