betta breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i want to breed bettas. should i? tell me pros and cons. give me tips. i donā€™t know a lot about betta breeding and maybe someone here will know.

oh also is there anyone iā€™m southern CA who would buy the bettas? mom said i can only breed bettas if i have a buyer. iā€™d probably sell girls for like $10 and boys for $15. iā€™ll put a pic of the parents (if i breed).

the female is koi betta and the male is blue and red veiltail. that is my best picture of him sorry. heā€™s very not photogenic.

Attachments

• A170D13B-C89F-44EE-8A1F-EA288067F56E.jpeg
    A170D13B-C89F-44EE-8A1F-EA288067F56E.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 44408CF7-4CCC-4305-990F-5437413AA1CD.jpeg
    44408CF7-4CCC-4305-990F-5437413AA1CD.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 58
Be aware you will need a lot of tanks or containers to separate them out. You may get 200-300 fry. You are unlikely to breed Bettas of the quality of the ones available at your LFS. So your price will be greatly reduced. If you want to breed fish choose something that has a high retail value, the best fish I ever breed were Whiptail catfish. At almost $20 per fish wholesale they were worth the effort.

Hello :)
Breeding Bettas - by the way the most sold tropical fish in the world, so millions of breeders - is not improvised.
It is a never-ending work, which requires meticulousness, seriousness and financial means.
Do you have the slightest experience in aquaria ? If not I say it is play with fire and............ with fish lives.

If you want to breed fish choose something that has a high retail value
+1
if i ever intentionally breed fish, it'll be t. schoutedeni.
high demand, much more beneficial, and (seriously) unbelievably profitable.
you could probably make as much as a doctor yearly by breeding certain exceptionally rare fish at half the effort.

Be aware you will need a lot of tanks or containers to separate them out. You may get 200-300 fry. You are unlikely to breed Bettas of the quality of the ones available at your LFS. So your price will be greatly reduced. If you want to breed fish choose something that has a high retail value, the best fish I ever breed were Whiptail catfish. At almost $20 per fish wholesale they were worth the effort.
yeah i know there will be a lot of babies. surprisingly, my lfs has really low quality bettas and they are all pretty unhealthy. it makes me really sad.

yeah i know there will be a lot of babies. surprisingly, my lfs has really low quality bettas and they are all pretty unhealthy. it makes me really sad.
It is a policy of sale : they count on the fact that people, saddened to see the fish in this state, will make a nice gesture to save them, and so they sell, again and again...

Betta splendens are easy to breed but as others have mentioned, you will need lots of containers to put the males in when they mature and start fighting with each other.

Your prices are too high and you are unlikely to sell many if you charge $10 or more. Prices vary around the world and with the quality of the fish, but females normally sell for $5-10, and males can sell for $10 and up. This means the shops will usually give you 1/3 to 1/2 of their retail price. So if they sell a fish for $10.00, they might give you $3-5 per fish. Most shops that buy fish will usually pay 1/3 cash or up to 1/2 retail price in store credit. If you have large numbers of fish, they might offer you less money per fish, but take more fish.
eg: I used to sell rainbowfish to a number of shops. I sold them for $2.00 each. Most shops would take 10-20 of each species. One shop would like to buy 100+ and offered $1.50 per fish if they took 100+.

--------------------
To breed Betta splendens, keep the male and female in separate tanks or together if they get along. Feed them 3-5 times a day with a variety of live, frozen (but defrosted) and dry foods. Do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every few days to keep the tank clean.

Have some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) in the tank for the male to build his nest under.

Have a coverglass on the tank to keep the air warm and humid above the water. This is essential for the baby fish.

The male will build a bubblenest in the corner of the tank on the surface. If you have floating plants he will build the bubblenest among the floating plants. The bubblenest looks like foam made up of tiny white bubbles.

When the fish are ready to breed, the male displays to the female and they breed. The male grabs the eggs and puts them in the bubblenest. After breeding he usually chases the female away and she should be removed from the tank if he is aggressive towards her.

The male looks after the eggs and babies for the first few weeks. Eventually the babies start swimming off on their own and this is when you can remove the male or the babies and grow them up.

Baby labyrinth fishes (Bettas & gouramis) are small and need infusoria or green water for the first few weeks of their life. If you can't get these foods, then boiled egg yolk pushed through a handkerchief can be used instead.

The following link has information on culturing live foods for baby fish and includes a section on green water, infusoria and boiled egg yolk. You should start these cultures at least 1 month before breeding the fish because they take time to get going.

It is a policy of sale : they count on the fact that people, saddened to see the fish in this state, will make a nice gesture to save them, and so they sell, again and again...
iā€™ve never seen anyone buy a betta from there actually. not only are they kinda hidden in the back, but they are SUPER expensive for a basic veiltail that you could get at Petsmart.

YOU never seen anyone buy a Betta in there. That doesn't mean that others don't do it. MillionS are bred each year, sold, and die.

YOU never seen anyone buy a Betta in there. That doesn't mean that others don't do it. MillionS are bred each year, sold, and die.
yeah iā€™ve never seen anyone buy a betta. iā€™m just saying that bc every time iā€™m in petco or petsmart i see like 5 bettas sold. my lfs is way more packed. i also look at the bettas every time iā€™m in there (like once a week) and the majority of the time, itā€™s all the same bettas. of course like 5 have been sold (or maybe died), but thatā€™s very little.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back