Betta Breeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MsKhaeli

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure I can make this easy to read, however I will try, there's so many questions on my mind, so what I will do is make the questions appear in bold.

I have seen how wonderful and amazing how Betta breed. Hence why I would love to try it, however there are alot of things on my mind in which maybe people can help me.

Firstly, I am no expert in breeding but I think I have watched many videos, read many articles and have the general idea how to care for fry since I have successfully bred cold water fish in the past.

So...

Firstly: I already know that Betta can produce alot of fry, I also understand that some people can lose fry to many causes while raising them. So it brings me to my first question, how many fry can remain alive (on average, maybe) so I know how many to house in Betta Barracks/Drip System? (when they are old enough of course) Speaking of Betta Barracks/Drip system , that brings me onto my second question. How much time and money would it take to build Betta Barracks/Drip system? (bear in mind I am in the UK- so in pounds would be pretty good) How much electricity would it take to run a drip system? ie, would it make my current electricity bills go up by a small ammount or quite substantially? How much money would I be making from one Betta? Yeah I understand that it depends on what kind I am breeding, VT, SDT, HM, CT, etc. But would it be worth it in the long run do you think? Also where would be the best place to sell them?

I'm sure I have a few more questions, but I am currently at work and my head is a bit full of things that I am supposed to be doing. Haha.

Thanks alot in advance.

Number of fry depends much on the pair used, Ie an older female will produce a lot more eggs than a younger 1 :) also depends on how well dad copes with looking after them how well they then feed once dad is out. Its impossible to say. A friend of mine *also on here* recently had 143 juvi bettas to sell on, the time before that she had 50 odd so pretty hard to say.

You can buy ready made barrack systems that house 12? *i think!* males for about £100 new alternatively you can do it my way ;) 2l pop bottles few pin holes, floating in a heater tank :)

Its no good breeding to think your gonna make a fortune from it, most break even with decent sized spawns, obviously if you ended up with 100+ babies to sell on you'd put them cheaper than if you had 10 :)

Great idea. Never even thought of 2 litre pop bottles. :)

So it ranges in how many they spawn then, which is good to know.

Still considering it, just need to find more space in our tiny house. I'm considering breeding because everywhere I look in pet stores they seem to have VTs in stock either in red or blue, yeah you can order a CT or HM or what not but the colours arent that unique just the generic red/blue ones.

I still want to try for the experience aswell. not going to rush into it though :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back