Betta Breeding Help?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GamingGal

Reaction score
I've always wanted to breed Bettas, but can't seem to get them interested. Here's what's going on.

I currently have a 10 Gal dedicated to my Bettas. I have it divided down the middle with a divider. There is no gravel. I have a filter on it as well as a heater and a silk plant two opposite corners. One one side of the tank are four females living peacefully. On the other side is a male. In his side is half a styrofoam cup. I feed them bloodworms (after thawing them) every other day.

The girls have filled with eggs before (the white dot under their fin became very prominent) and the male had built a nest, but when I moved a girl to his side, all that happened was plenty of chasing and no spawning. I even left them for a while. When it didn't happen, I tried again a day or so later. Nothing expect tore fins on the girls.

Help? Advice? I know Indian Almond Leaves help, but I would like to get them from someone local to Roswell, GA and can't seem to find anyone. Are my girls just not compatible to my boy?

Not that I am an expert but read some stuff about it and before releasing the female in the tank to avoid aggression you should probably put her into something like a breeder box inside the side of the tank where the male is, so the male can see her and they get used of each other first.

As for almond leaves, I got mine on e-bay.

I did condition them like that, though. I have a glass tube I set into the water and then drop her into.

Maybe instead of putting the female into his tank which is his territory, try putting the two in a 2nd spare one if you happen to have?

Assuming you eventually manage to get your bettas to spawn, what are you going to do with the male once the fry reach 2 days old? He can't stay with the fry or he'd eat them. Most people who breed them have three tanks - one for the male, one for the females and one for spawning and growing the fry. The female is removed from the spawning tank as soon as the eggs are laid, and the male is removed 2 days after the eggs hatch.

The only spare I have is a 40gal, which seems to be a bit big to dedicate the breeding. I plan on moving the babies there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back