Betta Breathing Fast at Bottom of Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sour Patch is still breathing really fast. He hasn't been swimming, but he's been moving around the bottom of the tank more than he has been, and I've even seen him resting on one of the plant leaves. But he's getting more bloated, and it looks like his scales are starting to stick out. I'm worried that it's dropsy.

Attachments

• IMG_4021[1].JPG
    IMG_4021[1].JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 34
Here is a great article on dropsy!

I have never had dropsy in any of my fish before, but to me it sounds like Sour Patch matches the symptoms listed

Sour Patch now has these white spots on his body. Anybody know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_4026[1].JPG
    IMG_4026[1].JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4025[1].JPG
    IMG_4025[1].JPG
    203 KB · Views: 36
I have no idea:unsure:
ok. I'm wondering at this point if euthanasia might be the best way to go. I don't want to lose him, but he just has one problem after another and there isn't much I can really do about it. He's been like this for almost a week now and I hate seeing him suffer.

ok. I'm wondering at this point if euthanasia might be the best way to go. I don't want to lose him, but he just has one problem after another and there isn't much I can really do about it. He's been like this for almost a week now and I hate seeing him suffer.
That may be. Let’s wait a little bit and see what others have to say.

@PheonixKingZ what do you think?

Looks like extreme bloating and pineconing. Is he still like this? What’s his condition now? What system is he in?

Looks like extreme bloating and pineconing. Is he still like this? What’s his condition now? What system is he in?
On Sunday, he started breathing really fast and laying at the bottom of his tank. He hasn't eaten since. Earlier this week he showed signs of bloating and last night he started pineconing. He is in a 5-gallon tank with a sponge filter, some live plants (2 anubias, an amazon sword, and a small assortment of floating plants (pics earlier in the thread)). He is the only fish in the tank.
Water parameters:
GH: Around 25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
KH: Around 40 ppm
pH: Between 6.8 and 7.2
Temp: 77F

UPDATE:
Last night, I made the decision to euthanize Sour Patch. His bloating and pineconing were getting worse, the white spots on his body turned to bloody, red spots where he was losing scales, and his fins were so pale they were practically see-through. I gave him some clove oil and he passed peacefully in his sleep. As hard as that decision was, I am glad that he is no longer suffering.
I want to thank everyone in this thread who has given me advice. I learned a lot from all of you, and I can now give my next fish a better home when I am ready to get another one. Thank you all so much.

UPDATE:
Last night, I made the decision to euthanize Sour Patch. His bloating and pineconing were getting worse, the white spots on his body turned to bloody, red spots where he was losing scales, and his fins were so pale they were practically see-through. I gave him some clove oil and he passed peacefully in his sleep. As hard as that decision was, I am glad that he is no longer suffering.
I want to thank everyone in this thread who has given me advice. I learned a lot from all of you, and I can now give my next fish a better home when I am ready to get another one. Thank you all so much.
I am so sorry you had to make that decision and I am so sorry for your loss. You did a wonderful job, and gave Sour Patch your best!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back