Betta Breathing Fast at Bottom of Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Not that I wish to condone such a tiny tank - but i wonder if a small white led desk lamp would provide enough lighting for at least a little plant growth. I've see people do things like that for planted jars with random bugs from in it on youtube.

Not that I wish to condone such a tiny tank - but i wonder if a small white led desk lamp would provide enough lighting for at least a little plant growth. I've see people do things like that for planted jars with random bugs from in it on youtube.
I can definitely do that! The lid of the tank has lights as well.

Went out to the pet store and bought some live plants and some new gravel. I also did about a 50% water change and didn't add any more salt or medication. I turned off the air stone to decrease water flow. After I put Sour Patch in the tank, he swam right back down to the bottom and is still breathing fast like he has been. He is also a little bit bloated. Any advice on this?

Attachments

• IMG_4009[1].JPG
    IMG_4009[1].JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4010[1].JPG
    IMG_4010[1].JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 43
Those plants are nice, but we did say floating plants. Bettas like to hang out at the top of the tank. For them to do that they need floating plants, the plants make them feel secure. The bright aquarium light is most probably a bit much for him. You can always just float the large plant on the surface for now and see if that helps.

Those plants are nice, but we did say floating plants. Bettas like to hang out at the top of the tank. For them to do that they need floating plants, the plants make them feel secure. The bright aquarium light is most probably a bit much for him. You can always just float the large plant on the surface for now and see if that helps.
Ok. The store I went to didn't have any floating plants. There's a store further away that has some so I'll go later this week. I will see if floating the plant on top helps any. Is there anything I should do about the bloating?

Ok. The store I went to didn't have any floating plants. There's a store further away that has some so I'll go later this week. I will see if floating the plant on top helps any. Is there anything I should do about the bloating?
Not at this stage, just monitor. See if it gets worse in the next 24 hours or so.

Those plants are great! And that new gravel looks nice! Even though you don’t have the floating plants yet (there was nothing you could do about that today) the ones you got should do a lot to help Sour Patch feel more secure, especially as he is on the bottom right now. For floating plants you can do duckweed, frog bit, water lettuce, water spangles, or water sprite. It looks like you got some Anubias! You see the green knobby button at the base of the stem and the top of the roots? That is the rhizome. If you bury it, the plant will rot. I’ve let my Anubias float before and it did well for weeks.

Anubias is the smaller dark plants that it looks like you’ve got two of

Those plants are great! And that new gravel looks nice! Even though you don’t have the floating plants yet (there was nothing you could do about that today) the ones you got should do a lot to help Sour Patch feel more secure, especially as he is on the bottom right now. For floating plants you can do duckweed, frog bit, water lettuce, water spangles, or water sprite. It looks like you got some Anubias! You see the green knobby button at the base of the stem and the top of the roots? That is the rhizome. If you bury it, the plant will rot. I’ve let my Anubias float before and it did well for weeks.
I had no idea about that! I just unburied them and they are floating just above the gravel now. I am also letting the Amazon Sword float at the top of the tank for now until I get floating plants.

I had no idea about that! I just unburied them and they are floating just above the gravel now. I am also letting the Amazon Sword float at the top of the tank for now until I get floating plants.
I had no idea either. I went to petco, bought an anubias, and it melted because I buried it too far.

I would let the anubias float and plant the sword. Amazon swords are root feeders (which means they absorb nutrients through their roots) and do better planted. The anubias will do better floating than the sword. For a few days it shouldn’t make much difference, but I would hate for you to lose your plants! I’ve spent too much money on plants that died 😂

I had no idea either. I went to petco, bought an anubias, and it melted because I buried it too far.

I would let the anubias float and plant the sword. Amazon swords are root feeders (which means they absorb nutrients through their roots) and do better planted. The anubias will do better floating than the sword. For a few days it shouldn’t make much difference, but I would hate for you to lose your plants! I’ve spent too much money on plants that died 😂
Well I appreciate the advice! This is my first time putting live plants in a tank and it would be a shame if they died so soon.

Well I appreciate the advice! This is my first time putting live plants in a tank and it would be a shame if they died so soon.
Don't think they will die. Make sure your light is on a timer for 10 hours per day. 10 hours is a good starting point depending on what happens that can be adjusted to suit your plants. By the way it doesn't matter what 10 hours as long as the tank is lit for 10 hours per day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back