Betta Breathing extra heavy after Jungle fungus cure

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It looks like his scales are starting to flake and fall off around the patch. One side of his stomach looks like it bulges out more and the scales on that side of his stomach look like they're about to flake off as well. He still hangs out near the bottom for most of the day, but he'll swim up to eat twice a day. I added a second dose of the jungle fungus tabs two days ago. I've been vacuuming all the left over food and poop, but I haven't done a water change yet. The ammonia is about .25 ppm, but I've just been adding prime to his tank daily.

Attachments

• lab2.JPG
    lab2.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 38
  • lab22222.JPG
    lab22222.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 39
I would keep up with water changes... Clean water can heal things up quickly surprisingly... Dont think because you are using meds to not do a WC. Also, dont use prime as a treatment. Do a water change anytime you see ammonia. It looks like he is forming a disease called dropsy... Its basically a term for an internal bacterial infection... I don't know if I can help much anymore besides what I said... Maybe stop the meds and just use aquarium salt for a while and see if that helps at all... Use 1-2 heaped tablespoons per 5 gallons and do not go past 4 weeks of use, especially if you have soft water fish.
It looks like his scales are starting to flake and fall off around the patch. One side of his stomach looks like it bulges out more and the scales on that side of his stomach look like they're about to flake off as well. He still hangs out near the bottom for most of the day, but he'll swim up to eat twice a day. I added a second dose of the jungle fungus tabs two days ago. I've been vacuuming all the left over food and poop, but I haven't done a water change yet. The ammonia is about .25 ppm, but I've just been adding prime to his tank daily.

I would keep up with water changes... Clean water can heal things up quickly surprisingly... Dont think because you are using meds to not do a WC. Also, dont use prime as a treatment. Do a water change anytime you see ammonia. It looks like he is forming a disease called dropsy... Its basically a term for an internal bacterial infection... I don't know if I can help much anymore besides what I said... Maybe stop the meds and just use aquarium salt for a while and see if that helps at all... Use 1-2 heaped tablespoons per 5 gallons and do not go past 4 weeks of use, especially if you have soft water fish.
Also, when using salt, anytime you do a water change, calculate the amount to add to the bucket of water going in... You should keep the salt levels up during treatment.

You might want to hold the salt.

There are two types of Jungle Fungus medication.

Jungle Fungus Clear and Jungle Fungus Eliminator

According to this website the Clear contains salt, the Eliminator doesn't....and the Eliminator appears to be suited more towards Betta fish

Jungle Fungus Clear
Active ingredients:
nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate
Diseases: bacterial and fungal infections, costia
Contraindications:
See Jungle Fungus Eliminator. The only difference is this one has salt added to keep bacterial infections at bay.

Jungle Fungus Eliminator (crystals)
Active ingredients: NaCl, Nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate.
Diseases: Columnaris, furunculosis, Costia, dropsy, fin and mouth rot, white film on eyes (usually cataracts and cloudy eyes), hemorrhage septicemia
Contraindications:
It is an effective treatment for fungal infections on bettas, however it can damage live plants.

I would check which medication you have been using....incase you have been using the wrong variant and thus not just overdosed the fish with the medication but also with salt too.

Do a water change anytime you see ammonia. It looks like he is forming a disease called dropsy... Its basically a term for an internal bacterial infection... I don't know if I can help much anymore besides what I said.
I think it might be dropsy now too. I'm going to do a water change now.
According to this website the Clear contains salt, the Eliminator doesn't....and the Eliminator appears to be suited more towards Betta fish
I'm using the jungle fungus clear, but it looks like the eliminator is the one with the salt since NaCl is listed in the ingredients of eliminator and not clear.
This fish will not improve until you get your pH down to nearly 7.
I'll see if I can go out and buy RO/DI water soon so that the tank will have a better ph.

Thanks for your help. I think it might be too late for him, but I'll keep trying for now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back