Betta Bloat Getting Worse Despite Treatment

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

kapsey

Reaction score
473B96DE-1EE8-48B0-8EEB-DD13625320BF.jpeg

I have a Betta in a 10 gallon planted tank, kept around 78-80 degrees F. I was previously feeding him Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets.

He began bloating a few months ago. When I noticed, I stopped feeding him the micro pellets and began feeding him a mix of Mysis, Tetramin Flakes (his previous food, which never gave him any issues), and occasional peas. I feed him once daily.

His bloat continued to get worse, so I increased the salt concentration in his tank to 1 tsp / gallon.

Despite all this, his bloat is getting worse. Iā€™m not sure how to proceed. Heā€™s still eating and is relatively lively, though he quite obviously struggles with swimming.

What should I do? Iā€™m really worried about him!

If the scales are sticking out sideways from the body, the fish has dropsy and is unlikely to be cured without anti-biotics. However, it depends on what is causing the dropsy and how advanced it is. If the fish is still eating, that is a good sign and you might be able to save him.

The swollen belly could also be caused by a growth/ tumour and there is no cure for that.

Dropsy usually occurs quickly and the fish swells up overnight. If the fish got fatter slowly over a course of months, it is probably a tumour.

View attachment 148574

I have a Betta in a 10 gallon planted tank, kept around 78-80 degrees F. I was previously feeding him Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets.

He began bloating a few months ago. When I noticed, I stopped feeding him the micro pellets and began feeding him a mix of Mysis, Tetramin Flakes (his previous food, which never gave him any issues), and occasional peas. I feed him once daily.

His bloat continued to get worse, so I increased the salt concentration in his tank to 1 tsp / gallon.

Despite all this, his bloat is getting worse. Iā€™m not sure how to proceed. Heā€™s still eating and is relatively lively, though he quite obviously struggles with swimming.

What should I do? Iā€™m really worried about him!
Iā€™ve never had a betta get bloat, but I kept rift cichlids for a long time and had some battles with bloat. The best cure from my experience is Metronidazole and epsom salt . But this usually only works when itā€™s caught early. If youā€™re at the point where the fish is no longer eating, Iā€™m sorry to say itā€™s probably too late

Iā€™ve never had a betta get bloat, but I kept rift cichlids for a long time and had some battles with bloat. The best cure from my experience is Metronidazole and epsom salt . But this usually only works when itā€™s caught early. If youā€™re at the point where the fish is no longer eating, Iā€™m sorry to say itā€™s probably too late
Think there is a slight difference between this kind of bloating (Dropsy) and "Bloat" in African Cichlids.

Dropsy is often caused by organfailure (kidneys mainly) caused by a bacterial/viral (rare) infections and as Colin states cure / treatment depends on the stage it is in. Often when symptoms occure there it is too late to reverse the issue.

If the scales are sticking out sideways from the body, the fish has dropsy and is unlikely to be cured without anti-biotics. However, it depends on what is causing the dropsy and how advanced it is. If the fish is still eating, that is a good sign and you might be able to save him.

The swollen belly could also be caused by a growth/ tumour and there is no cure for that.

Dropsy usually occurs quickly and the fish swells up overnight. If the fish got fatter slowly over a course of months, it is probably a tumour.
Iā€™m pretty certain it isnā€™t dropsy. Heā€™s had the bloat for months and itā€™s gotten worse slowly. His scales also arenā€™t sticking out, and he has no other symptoms besides the fact that it makes it a little harder for him to swim. Heā€™s acting as happy as usual!

If it is a tumor, is there anything I can do?

Heā€™s eating just fine, actually! I agree with what DoubleDutch said though, that does sound a bit more like dropsy.

Iā€™ve considered epsom salt, but he doesnā€™t really seem constipated. Iā€™ve been feeding him mysis since itā€™s supposed to be higher in fiber, plus I occasionally have given him peas. It doesnā€™t seem to relieve the issue.

Heā€™s eating just fine, actually! I agree with what DoubleDutch said though, that does sound a bit more like dropsy.

Iā€™ve considered epsom salt, but he doesnā€™t really seem constipated. Iā€™ve been feeding him mysis since itā€™s supposed to be higher in fiber, plus I occasionally have given him peas. It doesnā€™t seem to relieve the issue.
What does the poop look like? White, or translucent threadlike poo is a sign of bloat. If itā€™s eating and pooping normally, I doubt itā€™s any type of bloat

Iā€™m pretty certain it isnā€™t dropsy. Heā€™s had the bloat for months and itā€™s gotten worse slowly. His scales also arenā€™t sticking out, and he has no other symptoms besides the fact that it makes it a little harder for him to swim. Heā€™s acting as happy as usual!

If it is a tumor, is there anything I can do?
Sounds like a tumour. No cure, sorry :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back