Betta attacking cherry shrimp, what can i do?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lucyxlocket

Reaction score
Hello,

Ive had my male betta for around 2 months now. I decided to get 5 cherry shrimp for the betta tank. On the first day the betta did not appear to be attacking the shrimp and was just following them around and looking at them. Now it has been 3 days and I have witnessed my betta attacking and eating one of the shrimp. I have currently moved the remaining out into a bag that is floating in the tank to keep warmth. What else can I do?

If i get a new tank for the shrimp wont the tank need to be cycled first? Or will they even be ok in the bag until I am able to go a buy a tank tomorrow? every so often i am allowing the tank water to go inside to stop chemical build up and oxygen dropping. Obviously this is not a long term solution but I do not know what else to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Also the shrimp had plenty of places to hide but the betta seems to keep finding them and now they have been removed is investigating all their hiding places!

Um I Think leaving them in a bag til you get a new tank should be ok.But you should jumpstart the tank with media from the main tank for quicker cycling.Just keep changing water in bag.

Betta attacking cherry shrimp, what can i do?
If your tank is planted and he is hunting them there is nothing you can do about it, Shrimp are food for Bettas.

Although some betta are generally fine with shrimp, some aren't. It just depends on the personality of the betta, and their personalities are just as individualized as their colors are. That said, if a shrimp dies for whatever reason, a betta will definitely eat it's corpse. So, if you walk in and your betta is nibbling on a dead shrimp, it doesn't necessarily mean the betta killed the shrimp.

However, from what you said, it sounds like you actually witnessed the betta attack the shrimp. So if that's the case, then yeah, this betta sees shrimp as food. You should separate them.

Most reactions

trending

Back