Betta Ate Too Much

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kyle E.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a betta in a community tank and I accidentally overfed today. The fish ate it all but my betta is now definitely bloated. I am not going to feed for a few days for sure. Will it fix itself?

Do I just wait and see? If it hasn't gone away in a day or two I feed a cooked, chopped up green pea, correct?

Can anyone explain to me the science behind the green pea method? How does it fix bloating?

So I am quite new to it as well, this is probably my fourth feeding with it. I don't really know if it swells up. It comes in big cubes and I was told by this forum to rehydrate it in a separate cup before feeding it up because of that. I was a little lazy today. :/ But like I said he ate A LOT, so who knows if its swelling or just over eating.

When it sits in the water it breaks up into the individual shrimps, but I don't really know if it swells. It probably does swell some. I also must add that the betta didn't eat any of it until it had been sitting in there for a few minutes as he was too distracted with my new guppy fry in a breeder box. ?

I think they most likely will be fine. A little while ago, i overfed and my fish were all pretty bloated. All the adults were fine, but I did lose a 4 month platy. Within two days they were all completely back to normal. Just don't feed them for a day or two depending on how fast they go back to normal

Do you need anything special done if you eat a big meal? Probably not and fish are the same. The fish will be fine.

Feeding fish plant matter, (peas) provides them with fibre, which helps to push food through their digestive tract.

Freeze dried foods should be soaked for a few minutes before feeding, or use frozen instead of freeze dried.

Whew, ok. Sounds like it should be fine. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the science explanation Colin.

I would have bought frozen if I had known the disadvantages of freeze dried BEFORE I had bought it lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back