Betta Aquascaping

Apothyc

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at aquascaping for a breeding pair of elephant ear betta, I haven't bought anything yet so I'm pretty open to ideas. I am planning for a 10 gallon tank, and I unfortunately have never done a tank with live plants and am not sure what would be best. I'm not in a huge rush, though I hope for many replies, and plan to experiment first in a small 5 gallon tank I have for my halfmoon betta.

I enjoy things like these google images
2mae.jpg

YhUk1.jpg

0018_resize.jpg

Do you mean the tank would be for when you're having them breed, or one of them is going to be kept in it? I do hope you're not planning to keep them together in it permanently.
Aquascapes like that require high lighting & pressurized co2 I think (could be wrong, I know almost nothing about plants), so not sure if you're wanting to go that route yet :c

There is a reason why this tank is known as a "computer wallpaper" because it takes incredibly amount of work and motivation. This is like the mercedez of fish tanks righ here. I would advise starting small and going from there. You cant just go from beginner to expert but you already know that.

maybe this could be a good goal first!
biggrin.png

betta-fish-tank.jpg

Well as I said I'll have plenty of time to test and play, my short term goal is just to grow some soft grass (like the second picture) for my betta to enjoy. Though I'm not too sure what's the best/comfortable type for betas, as well as how much maintenance just that will require.

Ninjouzata said:
Do you mean the tank would be for when you're having them breed, or one of them is going to be kept in it? I do hope you're not planning to keep them together in it permanently.
Aquascapes like that require high lighting & pressurized co2 I think (could be wrong, I know almost nothing about plants), so not sure if you're wanting to go that route yet :c
 I've always been very careful keeping my bettas despite my lack knoweldege. in most cases especially my males become very lonely since this species of fish can form rather deep bonds which is what I hope for. Though I eventually hope my kids will breed they are very picky and won't even try to breed/lay if the environment isn't right. So yes I do "plan" for them to live together, but I also plan to make a how would one say a "honeymooner's suite" ?  If there is any issues my family has a 50 gal. betta environment I set up where the female can spend her days.
And while at this very moment co2 is above my ambitions it may not be in a year or so I'm merely planning and learning.  

Having just gone through setting up my first small betta tank as a planted one, I can recommend you try starting out with some hardy, easy care plants such as java ferns, anubias and moss. You will need to have reasonably good lighting on every day for around 8 hours. I added trace elements for the tank (flourish trace) twice a week, plant fertiliser twice a week, and a carbon source (flourish excel) daily. I kept my tank at 27 degrees C and had a filter going 24/7.

Your male and female bettas will definitely fight once they are not breeding, they don't form bonds like other fish and will shred each other to ribbons fighting over territory. Sorry not very romantic I know :)

Thank you for the plant advice that's actually really helpful. 

And I've never had an issue since I get big tanks, if I were to put them in my 5 gallon I'm sure they'd kill each other but I have no intention of that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back