betta aquariums

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I personally wouldn't put a male betta splenden in anything over 5g. Particularly with the more over the top varieties. The downside of their extravagant finnage is its impact on swimming ability. Combine that with their natural affinity for living in small bodies of water and you just end up with a lot of wasted tank. By no means suggesting to keep them in a tea cup. I'd go for around that 5g mark personally but like I say, that's just me.

I personally wouldn't put a male betta splenden in anything over 5g. Particularly with the more over the top varieties. The downside of their extravagant finnage is its impact on swimming ability. Combine that with their natural affinity for living in small bodies of water and you just end up with a lot of wasted tank. By no means suggesting to keep them in a tea cup. I'd go for around that 5g mark personally but like I say, that's just me.
My male betta Hank is in a 10 gallon and there's not a centimeter of that tank he hasn't explored yet. As a blanket statement I don't really think that works. Though bettas don't come from huge bodies of water, that doesn't mean they don't enjoy everything a tank has to offer for them. I think a 6 gallon would definitely work for a betta, especially if everything is provided for them and their filter isn't too powerful.

If your saying a six would work, then clearly so would a five. Certainly not knocking you or anyone else for going bigger, just saying the OP does imo certainly have the option of going smaller if they wish.

If your saying a six would work, then clearly so would a five. Certainly not knocking you or anyone else for going bigger, just saying the OP does imo certainly have the option of going smaller if they wish.
That's true. I mentioned because I believe OP mentioned that a 6.5g was on the way and I didn't wish to cause any more doubt

Actually bettas do come from huge areas of water. A typical wild Betta splendens lives in something like a rice paddy. And yes I do realise that wild Betta splendens are short tailed and finned fish, just saying that rice paddy type water is where the species originated.

thank you. i received so many replies :) i have ordered a 6.5 gallon set up from a walmart. i ordered a heater and gravel so maybe next week after cycling the tank i’ll go to Petco for a fish. i’m excited. also thankful for all who answered my question.

My male betta Hank is in a 10 gallon and there's not a centimeter of that tank he hasn't explored yet. As a blanket statement I don't really think that works. Though bettas don't come from huge bodies of water, that doesn't mean they don't enjoy everything a tank has to offer for them. I think a 6 gallon would definitely work for a betta, especially if everything is provided for them and their filter isn't too powerful.
thanks Quin.

thanks again. i feel better about my 6.5 gallon choice. i just wish i could adopt all those poor bettas at Petco. in those tiny plastic cups. :(

Yeah bettas come from large amounts of water, it is shallow but has a lot of swimming room:)

All of that iss undeniably true and I don't want to be 'that guy' but it does have to be said they still spend the dry season essentially puddle hopping. Also, I don't for a second want to come off as the guy who condones a betta cup, I don't. I just feel it does need saying, the habitat itself may stretch for miles, but they aren't the sort of fish that is individually swimming for miles.

All of that iss undeniably true and I don't want to be 'that guy' but it does have to be said they still spend the dry season essentially puddle hopping. Also, I don't for a second want to come off as the guy who condones a betta cup, I don't. I just feel it does need saying, the habitat itself may stretch for miles, but they aren't the sort of fish that is individually swimming for miles.
i understand and think 10-20 gallon for one fish is more space i want to dedicate to. maybe pet stores are trying to sell more but they shouldn’t keep them in a cup. so many animal issues- i can’t even watch nature programs anymore . i try to do the very best for my pets- the most i can afford.

i understand and think 10-20 gallon for one fish is more space i want to dedicate to. maybe pet stores are trying to sell more but they shouldn’t keep them in a cup. so many animal issues- i can’t even watch nature programs anymore . i try to do the very best for my pets- the most i can afford.
i actually spend more $ on pet food than ours most times. ;)

hi- i have been looking for betta aquariums. specifically 2-3 gallon size. both Amazon and Petco have aquarium kits. the customer reviews speak of the set ups as having filters that are too strong for bettas. i don’t want another big tank- i have 4 which is enough for me. does anyone recommend a betta aquarium?
Hi, I have a 2 gallon with a sponge filter. It's working really well. The waters clean, easy to maintain. My betta has plenty of room to swim!

Attachments

• DB485A1D-8B06-4CD5-A848-01C0DB50988E.jpeg
    DB485A1D-8B06-4CD5-A848-01C0DB50988E.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 67
Hi, I have a 2 gallon with a sponge filter. It's working really well. The waters clean, easy to maintain. My betta has plenty of room to swim!
for some reason my reply keeps crashing. anyway nice looking tank. my new one came today. maybe next week i’ll get my betta.

Most reactions

trending

Back